NY chicken lover!!!!

Hey all, have you seen this new proposed bill?

It would ban all shipment of chickens and chicks, as well as all other birds, reptiles, and amphibians within NY state through any mail carrier service.

It's really important that if you can, you take the time to write to your representative and express that you don't agree with the bill and don't want it passed. If NY does it, other states might follow through. There's a template email right in that link that you can use to send and edit it as you want.
Email sent to my congress woman. Thanks!

If anyone is interested. My older sister passed away and she was a hoarder of fabric among other things. Bolts and bolts. Good stuff. My nephews and niece are selling it. Some fleeces and christmas decorations last I was out there. Anyhow if you're a sewer they've got an ad on Facebook market place. I know some folks are making masks. Which I might be interested in. The ones in the store are too small for some faces. One size does not fit all. TTFN Rancher
Rancher this is the last message on here I found by you. I've been trying to get hold of you for months and months. PM me!!!!!!!! oes x

Hey all, have you seen this new proposed bill?

It would ban all shipment of chickens and chicks, as well as all other birds, reptiles, and amphibians within NY state through any mail carrier service.

It's really important that if you can, you take the time to write to your representative and express that you don't agree with the bill and don't want it passed. If NY does it, other states might follow through. There's a template email right in that link that you can use to send and edit it as you want.
Signed it, thank you.

Thank you @Pyxis . This is the letter I sent (everyone, feel free to use it, whole or in part), and I sent the link and a copy of this letter to the Hudson Valley Young Farmer's Coalition as well.

Dear Agriculture Committee Members,

I oppose Assembly Bill 4611 (A04611) as a farmer. I don't think that you are aware of, or have considered, the effect that this proposal will have on agriculture in this state.
First, it must be pointed out that stringent policies are already in place by shipping companies, as well as various federal and state animal welfare laws. Are you aware that since the inception of the post office, BILLIONS of baby poultry have been safely shipped? There are hatcheries that have literally been shipping baby poultry for a century and more.

This practice is SO safe and common that ALL poultry raisers get at least some, and usually all, of their chicks by mail. Every chicken you have ever eaten has had a trip through the post office. Over 90% of the hens that lay the eggs that find their way to your kitchen were shipped to their farmer from a hatchery.

The breeding and hatching of poultry is such a specialized industry, that "hatchery" is a separate agricultural category. There are NO, literally ZERO commercial poultry operations that maintain separate breeding and production flocks on the same farm. While yes, you can find that on the backyard or hobby scale, farms that produce hundreds of eggs daily - the ones that supply our supermarkets and feed our cities - do not and cannot, as it would increase their overhead cost by unrealistic amounts.

For meat production, that number becomes even more ridiculous, as meat birds are hybrids from 3 or more parent lines. That means that if they cannot get chicks shipped, a broiler farm would have to maintain THREE breeding flocks themselves, to get chicks to raise for your table.

A ban on shipping would take eggs and poultry from a cheap. affordable, sustainable protein source to a rare and expensive luxury. Do your children eat chicken nuggets? Kiss them goodbye. Even Tyson doesn't maintain breeding and production flocks on the same farms - it's a cross-contamination risk; . Breeding flocks are maintained on one property, eggs for hatching are shipped to a sterile hatching facility, then chicks are shipped out to be raised on contract farms all across the country.

But not in NY if you pass this.
New York City already has a problem with food deserts. Do you really want to make it impossible to farm poultry in-state? Do you think that will help feed our cities?

New York state already has a problem with a decreasing number of farms. Do you really think that destroying the poultry industry in state will help that? This will not encourage the creation of more hatcheries - distances upstate are already too vast. This will CLOSE every last hatchery in NY, they all rely on shipping chicks.
I understand and appreciate that this is in the concern of animal welfare. I literally devote my life to animal welfare - I take care of animals every day, in all weather, 365 days a year. They are not just a commodity to me, I do this because I love them, I want to KNOW that the animals that help feed my family have good, happy lives. I believe we owe them our care and our respect. But I need you to understand that in trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist, you are creating so many, many more.

Friends, there are already regulations that ensure that animals that cannot be safely shipped, aren't shipped. This bill is already unnecessary. If you are truly working from a concern for animal welfare, craft and pass a bill to increase funding to the USPS - especially in these trying times, people are relying on shipping for basic necessities, like dog food. Work on modernizing infrastructure.

But please, do not pass a bill that might feel good and pander to a tiny group of well-meaning, yet ignorant people, that will simultaneously destroy poultry production and harm our ability to feed people.

Thank you for your time
Lauren McKendry
Arrows Flight Farm

Hey everyone, I have some silkies for sale if anyone in NY is looking. I don’t ship anymore so are pick up only. I two 11 week old juveniles from Master breeder Kate Morreale. Looks like a blue roo and a black hen. Must go together, $100. Also have two 6 week old reds from Bobbi Porto. Too young to sex yet. Both for $100. Then I have three from my birds that look like partridge, maybe grey. $75 for all three, too young to sex. Photos go in order of the birds available and last two pics are the parents to my 3. I’m selling these keepers to pay a vet bill so I’m not negotiable and letting them go for cheaper than what I would normally ask. Txt is best as I’m not on here much. 518-774-9175

Attachments

• 68038606-BB71-4771-B097-B86931362AC0.jpeg
    68038606-BB71-4771-B097-B86931362AC0.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CAE081FD-070F-485C-9EFB-55BD3A6E3681.jpeg
    CAE081FD-070F-485C-9EFB-55BD3A6E3681.jpeg
    597.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 5234E10C-C103-43D3-9743-53D8FDB0E12A.jpeg
    5234E10C-C103-43D3-9743-53D8FDB0E12A.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 0
  • EDA7CAC0-D385-4BC3-8539-BEE35B73AAEC.jpeg
    EDA7CAC0-D385-4BC3-8539-BEE35B73AAEC.jpeg