NY chicken lover!!!!

Okay incubating experts.
I have eggs that are supposed to go into lockdown tonight. I just did a quick candle and they are moving like crazy in the eggs. My problem is that I noticed I can still see veins by the air cell...is this bad? Do they need longer before I lock them down? I'm petrified...

New babies, this was taken about a week ago. They are getting huge already!

Okay incubating experts.
I have eggs that are supposed to go into lockdown tonight. I just did a quick candle and they are moving like crazy in the eggs. My problem is that I noticed I can still see veins by the air cell...is this bad? Do they need longer before I lock them down? I'm petrified...
As long as the eggs look full of chick, it's normal to see veins near the air cell. I'd worry if I just saw a small blob and a whole veiny egg on day 18, but the chick will still have those veins for a while yet until he starts flipping around in the egg and they start to 'dry up'. Just shows the little one is still alive!

Okay incubating experts.

I wouldn't worry, but considering how I've been doing I wouldn't consider myself and expert.

I am up 4 new Birchen Marans chicks though. The EE hen hatched out 5 but one fell out of the nest box and was dead on the floor. I took the other four and put them in the brooder with the 5 surviving chicks from my last hatch. She was not happy. I did give her some more eggs and she seems content with that.

Hopefully this weather will warm up and I can arrange for her to brood chicks in private/safety. Broody raised chicks do not grow as fast as human brooded chicks. Though they may be stronger. That makes a total of 12 B marans. I should have enough hens when I'm done. I do have a hen sitting on more eggs.

I
Just catching up on messages after work. I definitely need egg customers, as I am getting 3+ dozen a day! I have a few regulars, but not enough to justify keeping this number of chickens. Not home enough to do the craigslist thing and got pretty awful prices at the auctions. Will probably have to downsize the flock instead!   I charge $2.50 for the most part although my DH is selling them for $5 in manhattan for me to his coworkers. :)

I know people in Saratoga County who'd buy your eggs!!! Have you posted on FB???

Thanks guys! I just put the eggs in lockdown so fingers crossed! I looked up some pictures of day 18 eggs and they do look normal, I'm still a little worried about the air cell but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom