NY chicken lover!!!!

Talk to them...First ...How did you pick her up ? Did you clamp both hands over her wings ?

Oh, I never stop talking to them!
duc.gif

Yes, her wings were covered, but as I was positioning my hands over them, she took a little bite. She was the only one who did this, and I didn't let her down, so she wouldn't make the connection between biting and escaping.

With regard to the portable pen being set up outside the hen door, I can't do this as that's where we are working on the permanent pen. With power tools and lots of work activity, it would not be a good place for them to hang out in peace.

I GOT MY NEW PULLETS FROM MARQUISELLA TODAY: 1 each, Coronation Sussex, Lavender Orp and Brabanter. They are younger than my birds from Rancher, so they are in their own kennel-cage right now which is in the coop with the others. Hopefully, this will work out to help them get acquainted safely until the new babes grow a bit. They are precious, though and quite friendly. I really enjoyed meeting Marquisella and seeing some of her gorgeous birds. Like Rancher, she's been a great source of info for me. So nice to put a face to a name!

I must post pics soon, but have been running so behind in life in general...

TOB

PS: Sorry about the chick that was killed and the hen hit by the car. These are the sadder parts of owning chickens.
sad.png

Last edited:
Want another rooster? I have a buckeye you can have. He is friendly to people and good with his hens. He is small for a buckeye and as I am trying to breed bigger birds, he needs to go. We will eat him if I can not get another place for him.

If Cass doesn't want him I think I'll take him off your hands. Papa Captain Morgan is rapidly becoming a nuisance, as he's starting to challenge us constantly, and I'm getting royally tired of his nonsense. He tried to fight me twice yesterday - when he pulled his crap the second time and tried to flog me, I went after him fully intending to introduce him to the Cone of Silence. However, they have about a quarter-acre to wander in when they aren't in the run, so I couldn't get my hands on him. Alan says he was following him around the other day as well - every time Alan turned around, the blasted bird was right there giving him the stinkeye. He's good to the hens, and does his job well, but the new trying-to-fight-the-humans business is right out. At two years I figure he's old enough for coq au vin, and I know that there are always roos available who aren't acting like macho jerks.
droolin.gif

Been too busy to catch up and there's 120 posts unread. I just have to skip them.
Blondie could not pick a nest and was being bothered by other hens, so last night I put up some fencing, a box on the floor and eggs in a nest so she would have her own quiet place to brood. She escaped her area and tonight she's roosting with everyone else. lol Oh well. I have enough chicks for now anyway.
Our latest tenants have moved out and left the other house trashed, yet again. We'll be spending most of the weekend there cleaning, but probably already have it rented again. Get this one... the oven they wanted to put in the house was too wide, so what did they do? Cut the cupboards, of course! They left behind a dumpster full of garbage in the house and we'll have to rip out floors and carpets. Here we go again.
I won't be around for at least a few days. Enjoy the weekend everyone!

If Cass doesn't want him I think I'll take him off your hands. Papa Captain Morgan is rapidly becoming a nuisance, as he's starting to challenge us constantly, and I'm getting royally tired of his nonsense. He tried to fight me twice yesterday - when he pulled his crap the second time and tried to flog me, I went after him fully intending to introduce him to the Cone of Silence. However, they have about a quarter-acre to wander in when they aren't in the run, so I couldn't get my hands on him. Alan says he was following him around the other day as well - every time Alan turned around, the blasted bird was right there giving him the stinkeye. He's good to the hens, and does his job well, but the new trying-to-fight-the-humans business is right out. At two years I figure he's old enough for coq au vin, and I know that there are always roos available who aren't acting like macho jerks.
droolin.gif
Hen I'm sure there is a Sumatra Roo with your name on it if you want one. You will be saving him from the crock pot
wink.png

I do not have what I can call an Ameraucana since my current chicks are from and EE and an Lav. Amer roo. However I have a Blue chick that I think will be a roo. I have an EE that clearly has blue in her. You can have him for free. I also have two Del roo chicks.
Thanks Rancher, I really appreciate the offer! I am looking for a purebred, he is a beauty though! I think I have 3 suspected Lav Roos in my brooder now. Maybe I'll keep one and see if I can get a pullet or two like him!

I like to use lotions that have a mint-based scent. I notice this helps a lot, especially if applied generously. It's not a cure-all for insects, but up in Canada, it's what I do before I take a walk with bare legs or arms.

TOB
Oooh! Good to know! I am going to try that. My Grandmother bought cracker barrel out of that Gardeners Hands mint hand lotion and soap, it smells very nice.

Attn. anyone within driving distance of Averill Park, my hens are laying up a storm and i hate to see these eggs not being incubated. I have alot of Brahma project eggs, these are color patterns that are being developed. Buff Laced Brahma, Silver Laced Brahma, Gold Laced Brahma, Light Brahmas, as well as blue laced wyandottes. All the Brahmas were hatched by me and raised to egg laying size. you can google images of these birds. These eggs were purchased on ebay or BYC auctions, many for 15-20 dollars an egg. they are beautiful birds. I am in the middle of a construction project, clearing land and building my new house, I do not have time to incubate these eggs rt now and am offering them to anyone who is willing to drive to pick them up free of charge. If you are interested PM me......Tom

Attn. anyone within driving distance of Averill Park, my hens are laying up a storm and i hate to see these eggs not being incubated. I have alot of Brahma project eggs, these are color patterns that are being developed. Buff Laced Brahma, Silver Laced Brahma, Gold Laced Brahma, Light Brahmas, as well as blue laced wyandottes. All the Brahmas were hatched by me and raised to egg laying size. you can google images of these birds. These eggs were purchased on ebay or BYC auctions, many for 15-20 dollars an egg. they are beautiful bfor thoseirds. I am in the middle of a construction project, clearing land and building my new house, I do not have time to incubate these eggs rt now and am offering them to anyone who is willing to drive to pick them up free of charge. If you are interested PM me......Tom
for anyone not familiar with the Brahma breed, they are the second largest breed of chickens, second only to Jersey Giants, they are feather footed, this can be an advantage in the north, they are very gentle, stand confinement well, have a sweet personality. Anyone trying this breed for the first time loves them. They are a dual purpose breed laying well as well as fleshing out a large frame to make a nice roaster.

Back
Top Bottom