NY chicken lover!!!!

In my baking madness I burnt a zucchini bread can I feed it the chickens?
I fed my chicken carrot cake - it had cream cheese frosting on it of course---I tipped it upside down on the grass frosting side down, and of course they went after the frosting first. weird little scavengers.

Thought this was So Cute...had to share!!!

Ok, I have a conundrum. None of the eggs have pipped yet, I know I set them a little later than the ones that Pearl was sitting on, which were due to hatch today so maybe tonight or tomorrow, the 4th at the latest. Most of the eggs have occupants that fill just about the whole egg. I could see just enough to see tiny toes waving at me when I candled them last. However, I have two eggs who are both in a different area of the incubator, but together, and they are noticeably smaller in development than the other 9 eggs. They are still alive, I can watch them bump and jump as they twitch around inside the egg. Should I expect these two chicks to have trouble hatching? or may they just hatch a little later than the others? I am thinking that where they are they haven't been as warm as the other eggs are.

Happy birthday to me... Came home to find Powder Puff in distress. She looked egg bound and was gasping for air and having contractions. I filled up a tub with water but she must have been too far gone an she died in my hands. No sign of an egg inside the prolapse. I have two new eggs today, so whatever color I don't get any more of will have probably been hers.

Oh...I'm sorry about Powder Puff, Breella. So sorry...
sad.png

TOB

They very well could be Crab Apples, but also could be Apples. There are varieties that just get pinkish and not as large such as we see today. The reason we see only certain varieties in the store and commercially grown is popularity appearance, ease of growing, storing, shipping and resistance to disease. Some I would like to see.

Arkansas Black, Ambrosia, Black Oxford, Black Twig, Blue Pearmain, Cameo, Hidden Rose (has pinkish flesh) Lady Apple, ( a small variety) Newtown Pippin, Pink Lady, Pink Pearl, ( another pink fleshed apple), Roxburry Russet, and the Zabergau Reinette.

The Calville Blanc D'Hiver is not pretty in appearance is Firm and Tart, point being it may very well be a good tasting apples but not pretty on the shelf, so it would not be a good market apples.

In my sauces I use a variety of apples, even if it's just three Granny Smiths to Macs or Empires. If I like the taste of the sauce it's done.

Thanks for the info. I will take a bite out of one and see how much of a sour-puss face I make from the tartness...! After doing a little reading, I hear the tarter the crab apples, the less you'll have to use pectin to make the jelly gel up.

I've gotten some really small no yolk eggs so I think she is. Rocks take a bit longer and will start when you've resigned yourself that they will NEVER lay.

Great -- thanks for the warning!
lol.png

TOB

Hi. I live in Kings Park. We have Leghorn, Brahma and Silkies.

Welcome to BYC.

I moved the 14wk old barnies into the big coop yesterday. The wolf pack went surprisingly easy on them. The silkie chicks are doing great and Broom Hilda is being a great mom to them.
I have 5 of my big girls that will need to find new homes, 2 ee's 1 brown leg horn 1 SS and 1 blue Wyandotte and also the trio of partridge rocks or PR/barnie crosses, whatever they are. If anyone is interested pm me.
I finally ate some guinea eggs this morning. Nice orange yolks and thick shells. Over easy on wheat toast. Very tasty :)

Alright, I tried and I can't get to that tree. Too much brush. Managed to get a few down with a rake to take a pic and show you all. Maybe now someone can verify what kind of apple tree if its something other than a crab apple?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom