NY chicken lover!!!!

My name is Erric, located about 15 mins from Niagara Falls... been scouting on BYC for a while. I just recently signed up to create an account because I wanted to start posting!

I have a small flock of nine hens with a mixed variety. I am looking to increase my flock, however Tractor Supply seems to have put limits on the minimum for how many poults you have to buy. And when I went on Murray Mcmurray hatchery's website, They wanted 30+ dollars for just 3 eggs of a Leghorn. And there are not guaranteed to hatch!!!

Is there anyone nearby that would be interested in getting rid of some fertilized eggs? Not looking for handouts, I just feel, and I'm assuming most of you guys feel… That the cost of fertilize eggs from hatcheries are a bit pricey.

If you dont mind driving to forestville ny i'll sell you eggs. They would be 2 dollors a dozen. These would be ee/oe when they hatch. Or i sell chicks 3 dollors each when i hatch eggs. This spring/summer i'll sell female sexlink ee/oes for 5 each. I normaly discount or round down if ya buy odd numbers of stuff i dont like singles sorta like pennies just a pain.

Oh and welcome to byc feel free to join our crazy chat any time.

Thanks... Is that your post on Craigslist? I have only owned chickens as adult egg layers, never raised from chicks or even hatched from eggs. But without a rooster, I guess that is expected haha Thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind!

By "come into season" does that mean you have to see them get their mo jo on? Could you please explain all this fancy goat talk for us city folk? Is your show at the NY State Fair? Did you bring different goats to show people? Did that no show goat get lonely?

ok. Yes I was born and raised on a farm, but try to be polite. " come into season" would be the proper time to breed them. My kids are in 4-h, so they take the goats to Oneida Co. Fair. We hope to take them to other area shows or competitions, where other same breed goats are compared to each other to see who meets the breed standards. Just like chickens can be shown among other chickens to pick out the best chicken. There is various things the judges look at to compare to. Well goats like to be with other goats, but the "no show" goat was fine. Must likely enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Seriously?
barnie.gif
Someone could EAT one of those?
hit.gif
It's like a pet dog, it's on a leash!
sickbyc.gif
Poor little tiny cow!
hit.gif

Sorry 100% farm girl here...I would need a cow to have a calf and then raise one specially if a bull and then rebreed the cow for next year...so no need for a bull,
lol.png
A.I. would work just right to improve genetics
wink.png

Thanks... Is that your post on Craigslist? I have only owned chickens as adult egg layers, never raised from chicks or even hatched from eggs. But without a rooster, I guess that is expected haha Thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind!

Yep the two posts are from my nyd hatch along. I sold all except the 3 girls and 1 roo i wanted to keep. I need to take those down since i'm sold out now. I do drive to hamburg to sell sometimes but thats normaly 15+ chicks to make it worth it or if i need to go thatwy for something.

Hello i hope everyone is staying warm. The girls are doing good and despite having a light on in the coop they took a nice break from laying but now have started back up again. My silkie decided that 0 degree weather was great for a molt. Chicks are great getting big fully feathered. Dogs n cats are awesome.

Off to work have a great day!

Morning Everyone!
Up bright and early because once again I didn't think to look at my email before getting the kids up-2hr delay due to this -11 degree weather! Ugh, now everyone's up and I wanna go back to bed.

Gramma Chick - I took away the pool when I made the pond. Now I use the pool to throw food into for the ducks since they like theirs wet. This way it doesn't get wasted into the ground (they've managed to tip over any kind of container, bowl, etc) the pool is working out great for food! Lol

Miquwid - Nice to hear from you! Hope all is well!

Oh and Welcome LilBoyBlue!

Last edited:
My name is Erric, located about 15 mins from Niagara Falls... been scouting on BYC for a while. I just recently signed up to create an account because I wanted to start posting! I have a small flock of nine hens with a mixed variety. I am looking to increase my flock, however Tractor Supply seems to have put limits on the minimum for how many poults you have to buy. And when I went on Murray Mcmurray hatchery's website, They wanted 30+ dollars for just 3 eggs of a Leghorn. And there are not guaranteed to hatch!!! Is there anyone nearby that would be interested in getting rid of some fertilized eggs? Not looking for handouts, I just feel, and I'm assuming most of you guys feel… That the cost of fertilize eggs from hatcheries are a bit pricey.
Not sure how far Pyxis lives from you, but she sells fertilized eggs and I am pretty sure she has leghorns, ee's, and marans, but I will wait for her to chime in :)
Baby Hughie, George and Priscilla enjoy this little thing. Well and mud puddles.
Mine lived theirs too and I also have a rectangle one that I got at Home Depot that is meant for mixing cement

Quote: Well, chickens do have "dander", but their biggest dust mess is from being on shavings. They are always scratching around & it gets ground into dust, and is flung into the air. That dust is worse. You won't notice the chicken dander at first, but then one day you will notice its all over things....Unless you put them on newspaper, but their feet will get full of poop that way as well. An adult chicken when scratching, looking for food, can propel shavings pretty far. An adult large fowl chicken needs 4 square feet of space, bantans 2 square feet, that is something else to consider. They like to walk around.

Oh Lynzi! We are realizing that someday our little ones will have to go outside into the world! We are thinking of building the Cluckingham Palace only because it's too cute! But those hoop coops are really nice too! We have to have our chicks hanging out in style.
cool.png
when it's a little warmer out. For right now, they seem happy in the tub.
big_smile.png

Your lavender Roo is spectacular! Absolutely stunning bird.

LuvMyChicks, I'd love to visit a farm and really understand all this farm stuff more but where? I took out, and read, every book from our local library on chickens goats and cattle. So, on paper, I could draw you a picture of what the fences for cattle is supposed to look like, and recite some of the diseases that the animals can get. I've watched tutorials on you tube but they're homemade and it's hard to find "Part 2's". Hands on experience is going to the NY State Fair and asking a few ?s. Some people talk to you, some don't. Cornell Extension on occasion has "trips" but these seem few and far between and if you are busy on that day your sol. How did you learn about all this stuff? What farm allows one to "volunteer"? There's some young farmer's program. We aren't young. This is our retirement plan. We've waited a lifetime to get out of the city. We just don't want to make too many mistakes. It's why we are meticulously repairing the barn and outbuildings, maintaining the property the best we can, and attempting to plan the infrastructure so that we have a "system" in place that is productive and sustainable. If the barn should have a heat/cool source, we should know now, so we can tie in the geothermal system. If we need a water system it must be in place with a plan for maintenance, and repair. It would be wonderful to know what successful farms are doing before we develop a system that may not work. We keep going to TSC and reading their books, too. We want to do what we can to be organic. We don't want a lot of animals, we want the healthy eggs to make healthy food to sell. $ isn't in a dozen eggs, $ is in a dozen slices of quiche! Love your input! Keep it coming!
highfive.gif

Find your county's Cooperative Extension rep and get connected. Their job is to help both new and old farmers, so you should utilize that great resource! While I'm also a voracious reader, applying what you have learned in a book to actual life can be quite challenging. The leap from Silkies to large (or even large-ish) animals will be a huge one if you have never experienced those animals in a real world (read: not at the NYS Fair) setting.

Back
Top Bottom