NY chicken lover!!!!

I have to have the the world's latest laying flock in the world. The ducks lay before I let them out at 7:30 am....the chickens? One lays around noon, the rest lay AFTER 2 pm....one has been known to lay after I close the coop at night. (after 7 pm, cuz if I close it late it is there at 9 or so. Pm, that is) (and no, I am not missing it earlier in the day, they all lay in the nest boxes except for one that lays in the middle of the coop and I find that when I get home from work, about 3 times a week)

I have the world's weirdest flock. I have ducks that fly up to the top of the 18 foot coop. I have guinea fowl that follow a CHICKEN around the yard. A rooster that doesn't crow. And broody germs that they spread around until 1/2 the flock is staying in nest boxes on GOLF BALLS.
I have five guineas that follow my Dominique rooster all over the place, funniest thing!

So doesn't look like the chickens have a preferred time to lay eggs. Hopefully they will be ok with me only getting them twice a day. Before and after work 12 hours apart.
Buttons! Mine love buttons - if I wear my old barn jacket they peck at the buttons - why? :idunno    When they peck at your hand they usually are fairly gentle. I had to trim the beak of blind Henrietta yesterday, she doesn't go outside much to peck/scratch and her beak was certainly getting my attention!. She tolerated it well and it's much easier feeding her by hand now, :)

Buttons uhgh? And wait, you trimmed her beak? Can you take a picture of that? Was there something wrong with it or was it just so she would not peck too hard? I had picked up a couple of my ladies today to pet them for a minute and noticed that their toenails are kinda long. Should I be trimming those?

I have to have the the world's latest laying flock in the world.   The ducks lay before I let them out at 7:30 am....the chickens?  One lays around noon, the rest lay AFTER 2 pm....one has been known to lay after I close the coop at night.  (after 7 pm, cuz if I close it late it is there at 9 or so.  Pm, that is) (and no, I am not missing it earlier in the day, they all lay in the nest boxes except for one that lays in the middle of the coop and I find that when I get home from work, about 3 times a week)

I have the world's weirdest flock.   I have ducks that fly up to the top of the 18 foot coop.  I have guinea fowl that follow a CHICKEN around the yard.   A rooster that doesn't crow.  And broody germs that they spread around until 1/2 the flock is staying in nest boxes on GOLF BALLS.

A rooster who doesn't crow? Is he nice? I would love a rooster who doesn't crow. We don't have a rooster out of curtesy for the neighbors.

So doesn't look like the chickens have a preferred time to lay eggs. Hopefully they will be ok with me only getting them twice a day. Before and after work 12 hours apart.
Buttons uhgh? And wait, you trimmed her beak? Can you take a picture of that? Was there something wrong with it or was it just so she would not peck too hard? I had picked up a couple of my ladies today to pet them for a minute and noticed that their toenails are kinda long. Should I be trimming those?
A rooster who doesn't crow? Is he nice? I would love a rooster who doesn't crow. We don't have a rooster out of curtesy for the neighbors.

Well, he crows about once a week....but mostly he makes this "hic" sound. LOL

Oh, chickens have a very specific time they lay....however they are NOT letting us in on the secret of what time that is. LOL, again.

PS a rooster's crow is much softer than the average dog bark...and most neighbors are not bothered by the sound....ask yours, so you can hatch your own eggs, if they don't mind

My girls lay at different times and I notice that since they lay every 24 hours it gets later every day then they start over again and start laying in the morning again.

I normally only check for eggs once a day. At feeding time around dinner time. I check again after dark when certain ones don't lay earlier. When the temps are below freezing I do check more often just because the eggs have frozen before.

Our LF cochins are laying, at least one of them is. They should be fertile, I've seen Leonard doing his thing
263a.png
You're welcome to her eggs if you want them.
You know I've been considering a hen or two since my Frizzles aren't quite the fluffy I think they should be. Crossing them to soft feathered breeds is best and I'd like some larger birds.

I have to have the the world's latest laying flock in the world. The ducks lay before I let them out at 7:30 am....the chickens? One lays around noon, the rest lay AFTER 2 pm....one has been known to lay after I close the coop at night. (after 7 pm, cuz if I close it late it is there at 9 or so. Pm, that is) (and no, I am not missing it earlier in the day, they all lay in the nest boxes except for one that lays in the middle of the coop and I find that when I get home from work, about 3 times a week)

I have the world's weirdest flock. I have ducks that fly up to the top of the 18 foot coop. I have guinea fowl that follow a CHICKEN around the yard. A rooster that doesn't crow. And broody germs that they spread around until 1/2 the flock is staying in nest boxes on GOLF BALLS.
LOL. Read your post and laughed! Love it!

Fredo is well trained now. I only have to show him the Walmart fishing net and he runs up into the nesting/roosting area. I clean the whole coop, change the water, add the feed and he's so polite about it. None of the birds want to leave their area and if they are moved they scream until they are all back in their coop area all together. Beak A Poo is still sitting on those eggs that are empty. Not sure what to do. Should I make an omelet? Give her fake eggs? Does anyone provide any different feed for winter months? Because they stop laying?

A rooster who doesn't crow? Is he nice? I would love a rooster who doesn't crow. We don't have a rooster out of curtesy for the neighbor
I only trimmed her beak because she doesn't go out and about scratching/pecking and such. Because she's blind the others pick on her and she gets in a panic when I'm not there, especially outside, poor thing.
sad.png
She seems to be content to be mostly in the barn, it's safe and dark.
You don't need to trim toenails, they will use them to scratch and dig. They will be wearing them down pretty constantly, unless they have a problem. You would only need to trim if the toenail starts to curl back under - doesn't happen often thankfully. I will try to get Henriettas' beak picture, but there isn't much to see - I simply nipped off the very end so that it didn't 'hang' over her lower beak.

You're welcome to some too if you'd like.
I'm afraid with DW not working buying new birds will take a while. I've got a nice Barred frizzle coming up that I think may be a roo. I tried to get his pic but my camera sucks. My DD has one, I'll see if she'll let me borrow it. He's very pretty.

I think he's Buckwheats kid.

Back
Top Bottom