NY chicken lover!!!!

Been a busy day. Working on the new duck tractor. I think that it is coming along pretty well. We would have gotten a lot farther had DH not taken so long picking up the supplies. That part of his trip was quick. It was him trying to find a new pair of boots that took so long.
barnie.gif
. Anyway we fixed or replaced all the broken boards and extended the run part 5 more feet to give them some more room for those days that they have to stay in all day. This weeks weather isn't looking to nice, but If I want to get them in by next weekend I'm going to have to do some work out in the cold crappy weather.

Hope that everyone is staying warm...It is going to be getting cold this week.

I had bought a tick twister thing from the vet, for about 9 or $10, but it is MIA, at the moment. So I'm back to the fingers down as closer as possible to the skin. Sometimes there is a little sound as they release.

Tab, the girls are growing so fast. The costumes are great!

I still haven't put the light in the coop, so I have no business complaining g about so few eggs, but I really want to.

Fire in the fireplace, girls go to bed at 5pm, ahhh Fall.
I <3 my tick twister! I also had special tweezers for them but I like the twister.
I find that the dawn dish soap doesn't really work for me.

Been a busy day. Working on the new duck tractor. I think that it is coming along pretty well. We would have gotten a lot farther had DH not taken so long picking up the supplies. That part of his trip was quick. It was him trying to find a new pair of boots that took so long.:barnie . Anyway we fixed or replaced all the broken boards and extended the run part 5 more feet to give them some more room for those days that they have to stay in all day. This weeks weather isn't looking to nice, but If I want to get them in by next weekend I'm going to have to do some work out in the cold crappy weather. Hope that everyone is staying warm...It is going to be getting cold this week.
Looking nice! I have to get my coop ready for my hens so they can get out of the pole barn.
I tried to catch up but over 300 posts was too much for me. Hope everyone is doing good! Here's my crew on Halloween. Hope everyone had fun!
1379553_10205285259678823_7372520760476814426_n.jpg
cute costumes!

The information I have is old, but try [email protected] or 607.253.3990

I am curious. I haven't been following the posts. I had a few chickens die this fall as well. I thought it might be marek,s disease and decided if another one died I would have a necropsy done. Your not that far from me(as the crow flies) and I wonder if their is something going on?
Thanks everyone for your condolences on Stella's death :(
Unfortunately it seems to be some sort of disease or illness running through the flock. I haven't lost anymore yet but I have a few more that are standing around looking sluggish and some green poops. They aren't egg bound, they don't have crop problems, I haven't seen any mites or lice so I'm just at a loss...I'm going to take a stool sample to the vet and most likely try worming them.

Has anyone sent a bird for a necropsy? Where did you send it?

Morning all! Read back through all the pages since my last post. My schedule has been all over the place and consequently I find myself having to do things at odd hours on different days. Dh and I finished the culling yesterday. Clyde and 7 hens are in the fridge waiting to be canned tomorrow. One hen was an oops. She was still laying. Anyways, I took the opportunity to powder butts, wings and tails, apply ivermectin and change bands on my heritage rir girls. Added more shavings to the big coop and some garden dust and sprayed. Move The Duke and everyone from the other coop in with the remaining girls. Poor Rooster Cogburn was a little upset and crowed a few times. I had to reassure both boys by speaking to them from where I was by the fire. Rooster never crows. That was the first time I ever heard him crow. Only his brother, The Duke, crows. I watched them this morning when I let them out. The Duke is busy being owned by the ladies. He does not, at this point, want anything to do with the barred rock girls and runs them off if they come close. I havent seen any fighting between the girls as of yet. Whats really weird is that I see no fighting at all between the boys. Rooster is the subordinate to his brother and rarely steps out of line. I hope it continues. The eggs I am getting from the heritage girls are very nice and dark. In catching and holding everyone yesterday, I found that the majority are quite healthy and heavy going into winter. I did not see a lot of fat on the ones we processed yesterday so that tells me we are feeding correctly. Hands down the barred rock girls are my heaviest hens. They look like zebra porcupines right now as they are molting!

Eowyn and Galadriel have gone broody and I have to evict them from the coop at least once a day to eat, drink and poop. Its good that I put two more young girls in there otherwise poor Legolas would have nobody to hang out with. He has appointed himself the caretaker of all the silkies in the yard. When I let them all out, he runs down to let the young roos know that he is in charge by jumping at them. Everyone misses, then the whole gang follows him around the house and yard. I had to pick him up the other day and explain to him that I am the supreme boss rooster and that he shall not challenge me again. I then put him down and stomped behind him for a bit to impress that message upon him. Like most guys, he just needs to be reminded every once in a while as to who is really in charge!

To those of you who have lost cheeps , my condolences. Sometimes we never know why.

Tab--love the pic! They are getting so big!

Lynzi--lots of pics of the new guy please! I have had Legolas in my basement sometimes for various reasons and his crow was not all that loud.

Rancher--love that sandwich you left. Hopefully it cures the problem. We have lead poisoning around here.

Off to the insanity of work. It looks like I may not enjoy thanksgiving as I have to work that day. Wish everyone would stay home and not shop.

Been a busy day. Working on the new duck tractor. I think that it is coming along pretty well. We would have gotten a lot farther had DH not taken so long picking up the supplies. That part of his trip was quick. It was him trying to find a new pair of boots that took so long.:barnie . Anyway we fixed or replaced all the broken boards and extended the run part 5 more feet to give them some more room for those days that they have to stay in all day. This weeks weather isn't looking to nice, but If I want to get them in by next weekend I'm going to have to do some work out in the cold crappy weather. Hope that everyone is staying warm...It is going to be getting cold this week.
Looks great Sam. It's already come a long way from what it originally looked like.

So I realized I'm like 15 pages behind. I'm not even going to try to catch up.

Here's a few of next year's show birds hopefully. Only time will tell.

We only hatched 6 of the whites and 20 or more blue mottled. With any luck a few of them will be show worthy.

Back
Top Bottom