NY chicken lover!!!!

Is anyone heating their coop tonight here in NYS? This is my first winter with chickens and I'm so afraid they'll be too cold!!! Water has a glaze of ice inside the coop tonight--I smacked it out and put fresh in.
I have a heat lamp set up, but have been virtually smacked by everyone on here when I think about turning it on!! I don't want to be a big suburban sissy in turning it on (these are the only outdoor animals I've ever owned in 37 years!!).

Supposed to get down to the teens tonight.

Sarah
I tried a heat lamp the first winter that I had chickens. Mistake ! They stay much healthier now. All the coop windows stay open all winter, unless the wind is blowing in directly on them.
They are like little furnaces, when you go out after they've gone to roost, pick one up and put your bare hands under her wings. Then you'll understand why they don't need heat !!
highfive.gif

I was wondering if anyone gets fertilized eggs locally in NYS to hatch? I'm pretty sure I'm getting a decent incubator for my birthday next week (HovaBator Genesis 1588) and would like to try my hand at hatching soon!
I'm not sure my chickens eggs are fertile yet--my huge Roo has been mating my mature Golden Comets, but he's only 14-weeks, so I'm thinking maybe not yet?

Looking for large heritage breeds or red sex link.

I was wondering if anyone gets fertilized eggs locally in NYS to hatch? I'm pretty sure I'm getting a decent incubator for my birthday next week (HovaBator Genesis 1588) and would like to try my hand at hatching soon!
I'm not sure my chickens eggs are fertile yet--my huge Roo has been mating my mature Golden Comets, but he's only 14-weeks, so I'm thinking maybe not yet?

You can check your eggs easily enough to see if they're fertile. Piece of cake.

Happy hatching,

rancher

Im thinking if he is doing the deed ...he is probably Fertile ...he is just 3.5 months ? that is young . Are you sure of the age ?
Easier to check the egg than the rooo...

Last edited:

I like the 1588 I use it as a hatcher atm since I got a sportsman. But I started with the 1588 and egg turner worked great for me. I hope you the best of luck hatching. As of right now I don't have any fertile eggs. I've had bad luck with lately. Had 5 ducks on day next I had 2 both males was in coop and no females so now I'm hatching their eggs. As for chickens I have like one out of 7 laying and others should be laying soon but aint and the silkies are not laying at all. Not to mention the one silkie who has laid an egg died with the first snow this year.

BTW all I'm still alive but haven't been on lately. I hope everyone has been ok while I've been off here.

Back
Top Bottom