NY chicken lover!!!!

@ Gramma chick, I am sorry, but will offer this. My son and his family live in FL. There they met Miss Pat and she is sort of my grandkids adopted Gramma. We're not jealous of her of course, but happy she is not alone. She was there for Thanksgiving and that's nice. Point being you can always adopt.
big_smile.png

Thank you about the Brazil thing. I don't always catch everything. The phone rings, dw is talking you know how it is. I was just so fascinated by the set up and all that. I'm not sure I could do it but it does seems pretty cool. I wonder how long the plastic bottle will last though. Perhaps they will develop it with glass lights.

No problem ! I didnt take offense . I do enjoy other peoples children
frow.gif
My name Grammachick is because the chickens were at first my sons - he bought them . It was like I was their grandma .his kids
Then I stole them ...now they are just my babies ...& I have more Grand chicks ..LOL

Plastic in the sun decomposes with time ..I would think it would at least last a year ..should be easy to replace if it cracks ....just drink more soda .& with the bleach in there I think you would know when it needs replacing .
glass maybe more practical except in the winter here

Lost!! Lol I check BYC everyday ..a few threads...this thread went down the list out of sight:(
Until I went back today to see older threads;)

wow,crazy morning here ..went out to find my roo dripping blood from under his tail feathers and other birds sticking their heads up there pecking at it ..turns out i wasnt dusting his bottom well enough ..i cleaned him up and sprayed with blu kote ..the bleeding had stopped and i couldnt find a wound any were on him ..just blood on the base of the feathers ..they all are getting a good dusting again tonite .i had just dusted them all except him and one other hen i was going to dust tonite anyways ..

someone told me on another thread that the DE wont kill the mites on contacted and wondering if i shouldnt use something diffrent ..i no pyrithium works but i hate the thought of using any chemicals on him ..the blu kotes is the first stuff i have had to use on my birds except when i had the one with the prolaps...and even then it was witch hazel and prep h .

i am caught back up on my chores now ..i got 16 bean soup in the crock pot with pork neck in it ..yummy ..and my grand daughter showed up ..so now if i can pry her from her grandmas grip i may have to fall asleep in my chair till the foot ball game comes on ..

thanks for reminding me I need blue kote.

TSC has a coupon for 15% off but only from 6-8 pm tomorrow. I've been holding off getting feed til tomorrow. I'm clipping a note to the coupon.

I do need to get a bag of DE to but have to drive to J&J's.

I'm nearly caught up on chores. I've been redoing the roosts inside the coop. I've been changing the Del side to make it easier for cleaning. I also have to lower the roosts for the C.Rocks. They're so big they need to be closer to the floor for jumping down.

Last edited:
Rancher, when did you get the coupon? If I wasn't working tomorrow I'd take advantage. Just curious because I'm on their mailing list and I don't think I got it.

Haha..Ive been nowhere special just real busy..dealing with a company taking over our non profit business and fighting to keep a job!! Ive survived 3 cuts so far...hopes it last another year! Oldest in college youngest in high school giving me the biggest run for my $!!! Have about 45 birds...breeding CCLS, Bresse, Olive eggers, autosexing OEs, marans...for myself mainly:) lol i throw a 24 auction up from time to time to cover some of their expenses...Its craft show season and I make tons of blown out eggs decorations for them...My egg eating customers are not too thrilled! Lol havent offered eggs up in 6 weeks!!! Sorry a decorated egg sells for 6$ where as a dozen eating eggs is 3$ you do the math! LOL Did Tabs and Travis chickenstock this past Summer and I believe the next one is at Aprils ( acechix)

I've been down with a cold this weekend. Shopping in Dewitt was not fun yesterday being sick, but needed to be done. Spent all morning and early afternoon in bed, just resting. This afternoon I ventured out, hubby and little girl were cleaning horse stalls. Decided to just stroll along the pine trees, see a bunch of feathers, but figured it was from molt. Then started looking like too many feathers. Walked on the other side of the pine trees to find a dead red hen. Body intact, all feathers plucked from the neck. Head still attached. Checked with hubby that it wasn't the one he buried last week (sick one died from egg bound), which it wasn't. And it wasn't fully frozen or rigor yet. Also found part of a wing in a different feather pattern. Did a breed count, those wings were my tiny buttercup hen :( Made hubby go talk to the Amish neighbor. He will be getting rid of the dog, but also claims there is a stray dog around bothering others too. Not happy. Hubby was given 6 venison hot dogs.
Found the hidden egg stash in the barn, so 15 eggs tonight lol

I also have to lower the roosts for the C.Rocks. They're so big they need to be closer to the floor for jumping down.  

My roost is 6' wide three levels, on a 45degree angle like a ladder, figured it would be easier for them as they grew. But I put my nesting boxes too high I think, didnt use them until I put round blocks of firewood for them to hop on. I'm going to have to plan better when I do the expansion for the j giants. Bigger boxes, and much lower.

As a mite and lice preventive I use wood ash from my fireplace. When I forgot to fill their dust bath container and they got mites and lice I used wood ash to kill them. I no never forget to keep it filled :)

Back
Top Bottom