NY chicken lover!!!!

Ive never had a white hatch!! LOL I was hoping to hatch a few as I love their looks:) so after 2 years with hundreds of chicks...this is a first!

Sounds nice ! do you have just a few chickens ?
I chop everything so the older / top of the pecking order Piggies dont hog eveything ...with 22 chickens I want eveyone to get some of the treat.
The kale could also be put in one of those Suet baskets to peck at .
I sometimes put cabbage , Lettuce , bananas , squash or pumpkins in that
Sounds like you have a thermometer in your coop ..I DO TOO ! so I know what the temp is .
I looked at it yesterday ..with no heat & the door partially open it was 25 in there ..
Havent checked it yet today ...I dont want to go out ...LOL ...BBRRRRR
When I win a million ..i will look you up ...Ive been talking with Metella too ...about blue eggs ..
She promised me some Pics ..you got any pics ?
Of eggs or chickens.

Anyone have any advice on swollen waddles? Obviously it is because of the cold and the rooster is inside and starting to come back to life and all the others are fine. He did drink a little water.
Just want to know if anyone has advice on what to do now?
I didn't mean to ignore you. I would leave him as is. Roosters run this risk dipping into water. I have used nipple waterers with a heater inside but they don't seem to get enough water.

Was he outside? I've never had this happen.

We grow a few greens through the winter in a sunspace/greenhouse attached to our living space. The chickens are happy to eat any kale stems or trimmings raw--we don't bother to chop them

THANK YOU, RAINEY!
frow.gif

Just a few comb tips that are looking a little rough, overall everyone but my white silkie looked good. Not sure what happened to her, but her comb and crest were all red and bloody. I think that someone was picking on her. So she is now in the infirmary in the back room. Got some nice warm water and something to eat. Gave her a few treats,

Thanks for all your kind words. We are all doing fine. My shoulder is still super sore, but I'll manage just a pain to shovel. They are getting the car in the garage today or tomorrow so we can get an estimate as to how much the damage is going to cost. Right now looks to be around the $2500 range if he can hammer and fix the hood, if not the total will be going up some more....Wish that we had collision, but what yah going to do...It is what it is. Luckily we have a body man in the family and it will cost us less then if we had to take it to a different shop...Cars can be fixed, just glad that we are all fine.

Hi Luv!

Hope your silkie hen makes a good, quick recovery. This same thing happened to one of my columbian rocks last winter; I think it started as a bit of frostbite that perhaps got pecked. There was a lot of blood, but just a couple of tiny wounds on the wattle. She healed fine.

Also, I'm sorry I missed something apparently! Car accident -- ugh! I hope YOU also are healing up and recovering from what must have been a scary incident. Please take care!

TOB

Last edited:
I want to move to Alaska when I retire live off the grid, hunt, fish and pan for gold. The wife's says no, she wants to move south. I'll try to visit her once in a while Lol!

Beer can, do you ever watch the entrepreneur show, SHARK TANK? Someone invented a cool bucket that sifts out the gold dust. A combination of silly and cool. $99 for the bucket / kit. Google it. You might get a kick out of it!
cool.png

TOB

Well....there's now a little frostbite on a couple of my girls -- luckily, just a wee bit. Last night was a doozy. I have smeared some Vaseline on them, but one won't let me. This weather has me getting SUPER cranky, but what can you do. I would like to scream...!
barnie.gif
Won't make a lick of difference, though!

Hang in there, humans and chickens, alike!

TOB

Mine get theirs in their treat : food processed / chopped raw Kale , raw grated carrots , cubed bread , moistened with milk ..
Misc stuff added - leftovers , raw chopped onion , A gourmet chicken treat.
I chop it up so all of my 22 chicken s can each get some of it

Hi Gramma. Maybe it's because I skimped on dinner tonight and only had time for a bowl of cereal...so I'm hungry....but dang, that looks GOOD!

Thanks for the "gourmet" tips! What a clucker feast!
D.gif

TOB

Should be one yellow out of 5 that was Bama's. I stuck it in there bc it had a funky leg. So, there are 6 that hatched 7th the 10 valentine hatches. The one yellow last week was huge with a spot on the right wing. Cute bugger . I have four yellow from you. 2 in each hatch.

I didn't mean to ignore you. I would leave him as is. Roosters run this risk dipping into water. I have used nipple waterers with a heater inside but they don't seem to get enough water.

Was he outside? I've never had this happen.

Yes, he was outside in the coop, but the others seem ok. I have never seen this either, so I am hoping the swelling goes down in a couple of days. One other rooster has swollen waddles, but not nearly as bad, so I left him outside. I turned on the heat in the coop and it is keeping steady at 36 degrees, which is probably good
thumbsup.gif

I hope yours are doing ok!

Back
Top Bottom