NY chicken lover!!!!

I lost my favorite roo to a hawk attack today :( evil thing ate him right in the doorway to the coop. It's all my fault too, this morning I heard the blue jays making a ruckus and I still let them out. I feel terrible... The little guy was missing his toes due to frost bite but he was still a peppy little thing.

I'm down to one older roo now who I think in the spring will be going to freezer camp. Therefore I'm pretty sure I will be looking for a decent roo come spring. I don't care what breed or age as long as he has a decent temperament.

I lost my favorite roo to a hawk attack today :( evil thing ate him right in the doorway to the coop. It's all my fault too, this morning I heard the blue jays making a ruckus and I still let them out. I feel terrible... The little guy was missing his toes due to frost bite but he was still a peppy little thing.

I'm down to one older roo now who I think in the spring will be going to freezer camp. Therefore I'm pretty sure I will be looking for a decent roo come spring. I don't care what breed or age as long as he has a decent temperament.

So sorry about that :( I know how you feel. I'm sure if you can wait till Chickenstock lots of people will have good roos that need a home (myself included - I'm sure my hatching is gonna yield a bunch of roos, lol).

In other news, I was tending the chicks today and I picked up some of the smaller ones to split out into their own brooder so they weren't competing with the older ones, and I realized that one of them is the offspring of Honey and one of my leghorn hens. So I have one last baby from him, and if it's a rooster, it'll stay and I'll have one of his sons. If it's a pullet, it's going to be a very pretty egg layer for me. I was really happy - I had forgotten I had tossed one of the leghorn's egg in my incubator. She had laid three randomly and I put one in and sold the other two as eating eggs.

Sorry about your favorite roo :(

I do have a nice fellow - 1/2 Salmon Favorelles and 1/2 BCM .... if you are interested - but I am pretty far from you. He has a very nice temperment and will help throw large brown eggs with thickly feathered babies.

Not sure if anyone's near Albany, but I would be willing to give my Delaware Roo or Olive Egger Roo free to a good home. 30 hens and 8 Roosters is just too many, even though they get along fine since they were all raised together. They are all collectively just too much for the hens :(

I know I can probably go over and put in the Buy-Sell-Free forum, but I figured its worth a shot here with NYers around!!
Olive Egger -- the females from this line lay AWESOME speckled, army green eggs

Delaware...one of my favorite Roos, but I don't plan on breeding Delawares...

I lost my favorite roo to a hawk attack today
sad.png
evil thing ate him right in the doorway to the coop. It's all my fault too, this morning I heard the blue jays making a ruckus and I still let them out. I feel terrible... The little guy was missing his toes due to frost bite but he was still a peppy little thing.

I am sorry for your loss.

I have extra roos of course. A nice Frizzle and an EE. I have chicks that will be growing out so may have a Del or two and some C.Rock/EE crosses. Free of course.

I also have a C. Rock. The C. Rocks are good sized so a cross might yield some nice edible birds.

Again I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
I know I can probably go over and put in the Buy-Sell-Free forum, but I figured its worth a shot here with NYers around!!
Olive Egger -- the females from this line lay AWESOME speckled, army green eggs

Delaware...one of my favorite Roos, but I don't plan on breeding Delawares...
Sorry but this is not a Delaware. Looks more Light Sussex.

This is a Delaware. Notice the barring.

Thanks for the laughs, Rancher. I don't know which story was funnier, the weasel or the house. Good thing you didn't get bitten.
I've set a rat trap baited with Kentucky fried chicken bone. Lets hope the Weasel is a Southerner.
lol.png
I mean who doesn't like Kentucky fried chickens right? Well perhaps Kentucky chickens, but not many others.

I lost my favorite roo to a hawk attack today
sad.png
evil thing ate him right in the doorway to the coop. It's all my fault too, this morning I heard the blue jays making a ruckus and I still let them out. I feel terrible... The little guy was missing his toes due to frost bite but he was still a peppy little thing.

So sorry ... you couldnt have known...it was a hawk or that it would attack your Roo

Back
Top Bottom