NY chicken lover!!!!

She, notice the egg. I posted the picture after she had swelled up and all reasearch said she would most likely die. She did get better and began to lay again after quite a hiatus.

As for the Shag rugs? How can I forget. We once rented an apartment with green shag. I'm not surprised it went out of style.

Morning all. No eggs yesterday. They have lights and supplements and they get turkey/game bird feed for the higher protein content. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. My silkies are laying some in the one coop. The pullets aren't as of yet.

I looked at nip at one time but decided not to do it. I don't show and they don't really test for anything anyways. In some states they do but not here.

Rancher...I'm the one slinging the pills! In answer to your question, not really unless you take too much then it can make you loose. Ask your pharmacy to order you a bottle of cod liver oil. I get it from mine. It's not cheap but lasts a long time. I only use a little in their oatmeal during the winter.

Tonight is the town meeting on the zoning rules for having animals. I have to work but Dh is gking. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Not sure how many meatier it would take to feed your family. The two of us eat all the cockerels and the older (2+) layers. If you can, get a pressure cooker. Makes for wonderful tender chicken. I also can chicken for quick meals. It's easy to do.

Off to fill the pills to pay the bills or as I tell the chickens, to buy the not so cheap feed!

Have a good day everyone!

Tell DH to take a copy of City Chicks. Lots of good ammo in there. Also some pics of coops on here. I swear some chickens are housed with better digs than some people.
lol.png

What I love about BYC is it give folks ideas they would not likely have in their own heads. One has to have quite the imagination to come up with some of those designs.

I do know the Cod Liver oil is not cheap. Last I got it was at GNC and they don't carry it anymore. I got the idea from Practical poultry magazine. I'm in a snit as TSC doesn't have it. WTHeck. I always bought an issue even though it was $8.50 a copy. Lord have mercy have you seen the price of magazine?

Forgot. Nutrena has new coupons in your email if you sign up. $2 off. I use it for the Feather Fixer. Got my hens back on track during their molt. In my opinion higher protein is a must for backyard hens. Why? Because we don't keep our birds in heated hen houses like the commercial industry does. Well some of us don't.

I have a quick question...
My barred rocks, Martha Washington, seems quiet and subdued. When I enter the coop and everyone gets excited for evening treats, she hangs back. Is this pecking order and should I make sure she gets treats? The treats are to bump up their energy for night...

I have a question for everyone here - are you NPIP? if so, what are the benefits? what's the downside?
  I have heard that it's quite restrictive in that you can only buy from other NPIP people.  Thoughts & comments please - I need guidance! :caf

I had the ag & markets lady out to my place in the spring. Getting tested was easier than I expected: just a quick drop of blood from each bird to test for pylorrum typhoid and an inspection of the coop. Also had to sign something that said I wouldn't buy from non-NPIP flocks (this is the tough part). I fell off the wagon when I bought some non-NPIP eggs so I can no longer call my facility NPIP. The testing is only good for a year. I probably will have them back this spring to test. If requested, they can test for more than just salmonella but there is a fee for the other tests. Not sure what the repercussions for being noncompliant are, but will find out. Think u just have to be restested after aquiring stock from non-NPIP. Nothing stopping people from being dishonest about it, so it's tough to be sure your source is compliant even when they have the paperwork. Leaves a lot of room for improvement, but it's a start. I've talked to other breeders who opted to build their flock prior to being tested. Might be a better option.

I don't even have enough birds to be NPIP. They require minimum of 30 and will test up to 300. I plan on getting it done but not yet. I also have to shop around for insurance again. As we have decided Farm coverage is more what we need than regular home owners. Lots of benefits but also lots of rules and paperwork. Only time will tell.

I have a quick question...
My barred rocks, Martha Washington, seems quiet and subdued. When I enter the coop and everyone gets excited for evening treats, she hangs back. Is this pecking order and should I make sure she gets treats? The treats are to bump up their energy for night...

Not sure what the treats are, but to many and they can throw off their vitamin and all that. Could be pecking order or something else.

I make sure I have two feeders and two waterers so no bird goes without. Oh and I put them as far apart as possible in the run.

How old is Martha? Has there been any changes in your flock? You may wish to separate her and make sure she's eating, drinking and pooping. These three things are what you should watch for.

I have a question for everyone here - are you NPIP? if so, what are the benefits? what's the downside?
I have heard that it's quite restrictive in that you can only buy from other NPIP people. Thoughts & comments please - I need guidance!
caf.gif
I am NPIP, and it makes showing birds in NY state easier. Yes getting birds from an NPIP person is a requirement, or you need separate facilities. If you are not going to Show, or have not had a lot of NPIP people contact you for birds, don't worry about it.

I am NPIP, and it makes showing birds in NY state easier. Yes getting birds from an NPIP person is a requirement, or you need separate facilities. If you are not going to Show, or have not had a lot of NPIP people contact you for birds, don't worry about it.
I have 0 interest in showing and unless yall are NPIP and want to but from me I'm not bothering then.

Back
Top Bottom