NY chicken lover!!!!

Thank you! I need to clean and rework the main coop. It's great protection for the chickens, but also keeps smells and dust well too. I will fix this today, hopefully.

More ventilation, bigger coop or fewer chickens?
An attic fan will exchange the air if it is too still.
I don't clean my coop out only every couple yrs. Roof is open at the eaves and the pop door to the run is always open unless it's subzero temps. The deep litter always stays dry and well mixed probably helps the most.

Last edited:
HInts:

Use those plastic grocery bags to cover plants when frost may be nigh. Just pull it down over your plants.

Instead of filling the bottom of pots with stones or broken up clay pots, just take the "plastic pot" your plants came in and turn it upside down in the bottom of the pot then add you planting soil. IMO it takes up wasted space but also helps with drainage the way your stones do.

If have a "plastic six packet" container? I just crush it up and use that. It's a great way to recycle those plastic pots.

I have seen use of those nasty plastic packing peanuts tied in a nylon stocking but I don't like to encourage use of them for anything. They aren't environment friendly. Though the plastic pots aren't either. I suppose the plastic pots can be recycled.

One more hint: DO NOT put commercial flower pot soil or florist flowers in your compost. They may use chemicals you don't want.

Been a good couple of days here. I got this:

And promptly filled it.

Also have ducklings in lockdown and two have hatched so far :)

Spent a nice afternoon recovering from a dentist visit out with the birds. Took the goslings out into the yard and let them eat some grass and climb on me and chew on my jacket. Goslings are such chewy little things, I don't know why.

Been a good couple of days here. I got this:

And promptly filled it.

Also have ducklings in lockdown and two have hatched so far
smile.png

Spent a nice afternoon recovering from a dentist visit out with the birds. Took the goslings out into the yard and let them eat some grass and climb on me and chew on my jacket. Goslings are such chewy little things, I don't know why.

You are going to be busy - and poor feeding all those little mouths! I have 2 Welsummers that love to peck at my coat buttons - who knows why??

More ventilation, bigger coop or fewer chickens?
An attic fan will exchange the air if it is too still.
I don't clean my coop out only every couple yrs. Roof is open at the eaves and the pop door to the run is always open unless it's subzero temps. The deep litter always stays dry and well mixed probably helps the most.
A fan is a great idea. I'll add that to my list of changes. I just added more litter, and I'm wondering if it was dustier than usual. My coop has two windows always open and a screen door. It's in an old stone barn that traps moisture, odor, and dust. Thank you for your help.

A fan is a great idea. I'll add that to my list of changes. I just added more litter, and I'm wondering if it was dustier than usual. My coop has two windows always open and a screen door. It's in an old stone barn that traps moisture, odor, and dust. Thank you for your help.
DUH!!! I'm slow. A fridge box of baking soda. Clay cat litter under the bedding, funky stuff free. Loews sells the humidity things, they are little plastic containers with crystal stuff that makes the room smell good and absorbs air moisture.

No the Duh was not at you. Those are things I have either done or seen done in the barn next door. Sorry it took a few to remember them.

Last edited:
DUH!!! I'm slow. A fridge box of baking soda. Clay cat litter under the bedding, funky stuff free. Loews sells the humidity things, they are little plastic containers with crystal stuff that makes the room smell good and absorbs air moisture.

No the Duh was not at you. Those are things I have either done or seen done in the barn next door. Sorry it took a few to remember them.

Have you guys also tried mixing sweet PDZ into the bedding? It really dries all the poop out and keeps ammonia down, I've found.

Back
Top Bottom