NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi there AmyLynn! I've chatted with you about incubating before. I didn't know you were in NY. I lived in New Hartford for a couple years. I live about 25 minutes east of there in Ilion. I too help out my aging father. I hope all is well up north.
Chili but good...lol I've heard of Ilion before but never knew where it was. My family lived in Remson and Boonville, but I was too young to remember. i had to have been about 2-3 when they moved back up here. Awesome, care taking for an elderly family member can be hard, but I wouldn't want it any other way. My dad is 85 and his health has failed miserably over the last few years, but he's a fighter.

Chili but good...lol I've heard of Ilion before but never knew where it was. My family lived in Remson and Boonville, but I was too young to remember. i had to have been about 2-3 when they moved back up here. Awesome, care taking for an elderly family member can be hard, but I wouldn't want it any other way. My dad is 85 and his health has failed miserably over the last few years, but he's a fighter.

My dad's only 77, but his forgetfulness has just begun to affect his well-being. I agree with you and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm lucky to have a lot of help. He hasn't moved in with us yet, but we're prepared for the possibility.

How's your flock? I have 18 adults and 14 chicks that were hatched by a broody. I built two incubators but won't be hatching again until spring because our electric costs skyrocket during the late winter and early spring.

My dad's only 77, but his forgetfulness has just begun to affect his well-being. I agree with you and wouldn't have it any other way. I'm lucky to have a lot of help. He hasn't moved in with us yet, but we're prepared for the possibility.

How's your flock? I have 18 adults and 14 chicks that were hatched by a broody. I built two incubators but won't be hatching again until spring because our electric costs skyrocket during the late winter and early spring.
Birds are doing good. I have my 23 adults and 16 5 month olds. I hatched out my entire flock. 11 of the 5 month olds are beautiful silkies that I hatched from @RubyNala97 's egg. I won't be hatching again until I can replace my bator. I did a guinea hatch a couple weeks ago for my nephew and had a heck of a time with temps. One side of my element (LG9200) is heating a lot hotter that the other side and it was a pain in the butt. I'm hoping to be able to replace it before spring, but we'll see.

Hi!
frow.gif
I thought I'd check out the NY page and I skimmed some thread members and I actually recognize a few towns/cities. I'm up in Gouverneur, about 45 minutes(ish) from the Canadian border through Ogdensburg NY. About 45 minutes north of Watertown. Grew up here, was born in the Utica area-New Hartford. Spent 12 years after college in Baldwinsville, near Syracuse before coming back to my hometown to care for my aging father.

Nice to see all the New York peeps!
Welcome ! We like to see pictures of Peeps ..

Last edited:
Well I hope this is the last of the year chicks ...
3 eggs ...one hatched under a hen ..other 2 in the incubator after she left the eggs

I put a black cup in there so they could cuddle ..
I am going to try to add them to Tweety the black hen tomorrow

Birds are doing good. I have my 23 adults and 16 5 month olds. I hatched out my entire flock.  11 of the 5 month olds are beautiful silkies that I hatched from @RubyNala97
 's egg.  I won't be hatching again until I can replace my bator. I did a guinea hatch a couple weeks ago for my nephew and had a heck of a time with temps. One side of my element (LG9200) is heating a lot hotter that the other side and it was a pain in the butt. I'm hoping to be able to replace it before spring, but we'll see.
I have an extra incubator. You can either barrow it until you get one or just buy mine for cheap. It's an older TSC one so it's not fancy but it works great. Just let me know.

Hi all. It's been awhile since I've been on. My town passed a law that you can have 6 chickens, no roosters. Unfortunately they have set outrageous setbacks for where the coop has to be and I can't keep my current set up as my coop is a bit of a chicken mansion.

It looks like my only options are to have a much smaller coop with a few bantams or use part of my garage as a coop. So a friend of mine has my current flock...which was very upsetting! My chickens are my children.

So I'll have to get some bantams this spring because I can't be without chickens!

Hope you all have been well!

Back
Top Bottom