NY chicken lover!!!!

Does anyone use Ground Turkey ? Wegman s has it for 2.99 for 3 pounds
Wegmans has this Great Greek Turkey burger Recipe ...They say grill it but I just pan fried it .
1 lb Food You Feel Good About 94% Lean Ground Turkey
1 cup firmly packed baby spinach (1 1/2 oz), chopped
1 Tbsp Food You Feel Good About Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 oz) Wegmans Crumbled Feta
1/4 tsp McCormick Oregano Leaves
1/2 tsp Wegmans Cracked Pepper Seasoning Shak'r<- I just added Peeper
1 tsp Wegmans Pure Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Wegmans Tzatziki, divided (Cheese Shop)<- I didnt have these last three items
1/4 cup Wegmans Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced (Grocery Dept)
1 small cucumber, cut into 12 thin slices
4 Wegmans Organic Rosemary Olive Oil Rolls (Bakery)

Was Pretty Good and not dry at all .

We use turkey burger a lot. I buy whole turkeys when it is cheap, holidays and right now the best, grind them myself.. And nope, not dry at all. DW just made a meatloaf out of some with peppers and onions of ours and mozzarella, sauce, excellent! Tacos and burritos with it also a lot of times, good stuff and cheap. That recipe sounds yummy, have to try it!

Thats a good price on ground turkey. We just got beef, my cousin raised 3 beefers and couldn't fit it all in his freezer. Drove up to miller's meat market in Lowville to pick it up. I really liked their set up up there.
On an off note with icky weather this week the stomach bug hit for a second round too. My middle one monday and my oldest yesterday. Things tend to hit at once. :/
Forgot to add: with the warmer temps my birds are laying better which is good.

Last edited:
I have been reading posts for several months now trying to decide what kind of chickens to get for my daughter who is in 4-H and very interested in chickens. We have had a barnyard flock for a long time, but am learning more about what I should have been doing all along.
1f60a.png
So, what are your suggestions for breeds that are easy for a child to handle? And places to get them. We would be open to fertile eggs, chicks, or young pullets. We would also like something closer to the SOP than the hatchery hens we have now. We liked Speckled Sussex, but haven't found any nearby, other than hatchery chicks. So, we welcome your suggestions. Thanks!

I have been reading posts for several months now trying to decide what kind of chickens to get for my daughter who is in 4-H and very interested in chickens. We have had a barnyard flock for a long time, but am learning more about what I should have been doing all along.
1f60a.png
So, what are your suggestions for breeds that are easy for a child to handle? And places to get them. We would be open to fertile eggs, chicks, or young pullets. We would also like something closer to the SOP than the hatchery hens we have now. We liked Speckled Sussex, but haven't found any nearby, other than hatchery chicks. So, we welcome your suggestions. Thanks!

What tab said plus silkies and seramas. Silkies in my experience are very easy to handle so a good starting point. Show quality may be easier to find because of their popularity but their popularity makes it harder to win at shows since their are so many silkies usually present. I'm not to sure about 4-h but my understanding is they judge the child on how they handle the bird and how well the bird does with being handled not the breed itself. I'm sure they show the breeds too, just letting you know you might not need to start with show quality.

Back
Top Bottom