NY chicken lover!!!!

Power didn't go out at our house but it was in and out a bunch of times at work, really messed things up. And boy after the power interruption the wind came through like a freight train. Tree branches all over the road all the way home, didn't encounter any down trees though. Heard there was many down.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. I watched, actually my kids watch it just catch parts some times, the Dr. Pol show where they have dealt with cows with twisted stomach bloat.
I've always fed my dogs free choice right from a pup. Don't ever over eat or eat like their starving and never have a problem with someone or another dog being near their food.

UGH yeah super scary and so glad we caught it in time. The incision is sewn and stapled; however, quite large. And I guess that makes sense when you think about how big a dog's tummy and abdomen is.I have had her since the end of high school and she really is my soul. NOrmally I wouldnt say a person should spend that type of money on a 10 year old dog. But she still acts fiesty and is running through the woods killing things on a daily basis, so to me seems like she has much life left to live. Plus she has lived a full life thus far making her young in spirit.

The good news is that when they do the surgery they tack the stomach to the abdomen wall so this does not happen in the future. Any of you large breed owners who spay your dogs might want to ask for this to be done during spay neuter surgery as a preventative. My dog is actually spayed but they did not do that in the surgery. I don't think I will spay my other dog because I'm not convinced in the health argument there being delivered impartially.

Cheeks at 7 weeks.

We had a dog attack, chicks got out of the run and we lost 7 of ten. We only have Cheeks, Boots, and the one with three foot feathers I now call Roo. It was our fault - we didn't fortify the run enough and they were getting out. Fixed it. Lesson learned.

They are ten weeks old today, and they have been starting to cluck for about a week or so now - but it's still pretty squeaky, and they still peep a lot.

As I'm worried that Cheeks and Boots are also boys, (and even if they weren't, 10ish eggs per week isn't enough for my family) we got 20 more eggs, and today is day 8 in the bator. We candled on the 30th and 2 had blood rings. Got lots of colors this time around, and some bantams.

In other news, we got bees last week! Then the next night we had a stinkin bear knock over a hive. Luckily it was chased away, and the hive is recovering well. Bear has not been back, but we are staying vigilant, because it will be.

Cheeks at 7 weeks.

We had a dog attack, chicks got out of the run and we lost 7 of ten. We only have Cheeks, Boots, and the one with three foot feathers I now call Roo. It was our fault - we didn't fortify the run enough and they were getting out. Fixed it. Lesson learned.
So Sorry
In other news, we got bees last week! Then the next night we had a stinkin bear knock over a hive. Luckily it was chased away, and the hive is recovering well. Bear has not been back, but we are staying vigilant, because it will be.
Have you heard of Bear Boards ? or could you use a electric fence ?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/beekeeping/bee-predators-ze0z1601zbay

UGH yeah super scary and so glad we caught it in time. The incision is sewn and stapled; however, quite large. And I guess that makes sense when you think about how big a dog's tummy and abdomen is.I have had her since the end of high school and she really is my soul. NOrmally I wouldnt say a person should spend that type of money on a 10 year old dog. But she still acts fiesty and is running through the woods killing things on a daily basis, so to me seems like she has much life left to live. Plus she has lived a full life thus far making her young in spirit.

The good news is that when they do the surgery they tack the stomach to the abdomen wall so this does not happen in the future. Any of you large breed owners who spay your dogs might want to ask for this to be done during spay neuter surgery as a preventative. My dog is actually spayed but they did not do that in the surgery. I don't think I will spay my other dog because I'm not convinced in the health argument there being delivered impartially.
Glad you shared your story, something I've not heard of. Hope everything goes good. I had a very large Boxer yrs ago and he would run roll play after eating but he always just ate some at a time, never wolfed down a meal, always had a full food bowl as a pup. I do know some only feed their dogs one a day, probably more inclined to over eat in that case. I guess even Basset hounds can get that. I had a Basset when I was a young teen.
Just have a tiny mutt dog now, DD's, and a really old beagle, and a Tennessee Mountain Cur, he's got a big chest like a greyhound, guess I should watch for that.

No power for atleast 3 days on my road. Power lines are down and trees knocked poles over.

Is everyone good to go after the storm last night? I hope all birds and critters are ok.

Welcome to the world of beekeeping! You will need to set up electric fence around the hive to protect it from the bear. Wouldn't hurt to run a line around the chicken coop/run while your are at it. We lost our 6 hives over winter, planning on buying a local Nuc to re-start. Hubby had a couple people contact him about established feral colonies under a porch and in an old coop that we can collect, but first building a bee vac.

Cheeks at 7 weeks.

They are ten weeks old today, and they have been starting to cluck for about a week or so now - but it's still pretty squeaky, and they still peep a lot.

As I'm worried that Cheeks and Boots are also boys, (and even if they weren't, 10ish eggs per week isn't enough for my family) we got 20 more eggs, and today is day 8 in the bator. We candled on the 30th and 2 had blood rings. Got lots of colors this time around, and some bantams.

Back
Top Bottom