NY chicken lover!!!!

I would wait a few more days as it is still pretty cold at night ...supposed to be down to 34 tonight again .
What do you have them in in the house ?

Also, I live about 2 hours 45 mins south of you so it isnt getting quite that cold at night here. Our lowest this week is 38 for two days and then it is lows of 41 to 51 throught the rest of the week... so what do you think? :)

I agree with Gramma. By the weekend you could try a couple nights. They look big enough tp handle it. Pick the warmest night forecasted and try it. While they're out there scrub the dander but be prepared to bring them back in if needed. Chickens are quite resilient but dampness can be rough. Make sure they have dry areas with ventilation.
You're doing great. Welcome to chicken addiction.
Thanks so much! I clean their inside coop twice a week to keep the dander down

I agree with Gramma. By the weekend you could try a couple nights. They look big enough tp handle it. Pick the warmest night forecasted and try it. While they're out there scrub the dander but be prepared to bring them back in if needed. Chickens are quite resilient but dampness can be rough. Make sure they have dry areas with ventilation.
You're

it isnt getting quite that cold at night here. Our lowest this week is 38 for two days and then it is lows of 41 to 51 throught the rest of the week... so what do you think? smile.png i think they should be okay :)

I'm near Binghamton,NY and new to raising chicks for eggs. I would love to hear and meet some locals to get some tips, and make a new friend or two!

Welcome! I hope you can make it to chickenstock.

Welcome all newcomers. This is a great group filled with friendly knowledgeable peeps. Glad to have you join us.

We sold half of our flock. I currently have 10 hens, but one is still struggling. Gravy must have had an egg tract issue as she is walking quite gingerly and slowly but still eating and drinking normally. It's almost like she's a slow motion chicken. She has mostly separated herself from the rest of the flock. After I closed the coop last night she was still outside foraging for bugs in the yard. If she continues this way then I will sadly choose to euthanize her later this week.

22 chicks growing happily. I am committed to keeping 4-10 of them. They'll be 4 weeks old at Chicken Stock.

85 eggs in the fridgerbator. Staggered hatch begins 5/15. I'm hoping to get >10 keepers from these hatches to rebuild after a bad hatch last month. Extras will be 1-5 days old at Chicken Stock.

I'm very close to having a specific direction for my breeding and flock goals. Hopefully I'll stick to it once I decide. It's taken me 2 years to get to this point. I had narrowed things down but it's been an expensive process. This last change allowed me to narrow down to two options and my next hatch will determine which of the two plans will be implemented.

I have to say I was quite nervous about selling half my flock. It was via craigslist and text and I wasn't sure how to read the buyers. This morning I received a follow up text that relieved my heart. They sent a thank you message and told me they were all well. Sometimes it's the little things that reassure me about the goodness of people..:)

are you going to try and make chickenstock this year? I still have your giant cx waiting for a new home.

I figured you may have put it in the soup pot by now. My bad, thought I sent you a pm awhile ago but I don't see it so must have not went through
hide.gif
, made a trip to Binghamton. We pretty much haven't had any time for anything except that day.
I'm working 12hr shifts this week. Maybe Sun, or following week, weekend, maybe quick stop day of chickenstock.
We'd like to take the kids to see that baby giraffe and all sometime, not sure when DW plans on it. Our 4yr old is going the end of the month for a pre-school class trip.
Do you still have a need or want for some naked necks still? I hatched 13 on Easter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom