NY chicken lover!!!!

Can anyone tell me roughly how old my Leghorns are? I bought them as babies, but I am unsure how "baby" they were at the time. They grew like weeds!

Attachments

• Chicks.jpg
    Chicks.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 550852 View attachment 550853
Chick one is a darker grey but way better lacing and chick 2 is lighter grey but his lacing isn't as detailed. I hatched these from my own chickens. Moms were ordered from a BYCer in MI (deep red and dark lacing) and the cockerel was from a farmer here in NY outside of Albany (orange-red with lighter lacing). I will not be at chicken stock and i'm asking $10 each for these two. They are about 9 weeks old. I have more hatching this weekend and I'm sure I'll have a lot more cockerels.

Ok, thank you, but I'll pass. I just didn't know of one was the lighter blue. These look pretty similar to the one I'm getting, so don't need another that looks the same.

Finally found this thread again!! :)

Lost two chickens this week to hawks because my rooster is gone /sigh. They'll be locked up for at least a week now but I had to let them out due to the heat.. baaaaad mistake. :( And this time it was one of my younger naked necks =(

yeah amber the marans can be really hard to hatch. Good luck to you in getting some blues.

I am trying the dry incubation method along with monitoring their weight loss based on the methods found at these two links:

DRY INCUBATION METHOD
http://www.darkbrowneggs.info/#/dry-incubation-method/4559648852

WEIGHT LOSS METHOD
https://poultrykeeper.com/incubating-and-hatching-eggs/weight-loss-method-forl-incubation/

IRIS: to answer your question of why this thread is not showing up: scroll to the bottom of Watched Threads>> See all watched threads

I'll look more into the dry hatching method next time. I didn't add any water to the incubator until lockdown. Humidity was around 30 until lock down (then 60-65 until the first hatch, after that around 70). I'm happy to have 14 chicks, but I lost 6 (2 died after hatch, one pipped and died, 3 didn't hatch).

Back
Top Bottom