NY chicken lover!!!!

Would like some advice and/or make an offer. I've got two broody Australorps that I put a couple eggs under 15 days ago. One has two healthy eggs with little chickies squirming around in them, the other got booted off her nest a few times too many and her eggs aren't developing anymore. I should have separated the broodies, I know, but I didn't have the time or space 15 days ago; also just hatched a bunch on my own in the incubator before these two went broody on me. So, my question is, is the broody who lost her eggs a threat to the other broody once the eggs hatch? I don't want her fighting over the chicks and hurting them. As for my offer, I've got a perfectly good broody who'll go to waste since I really don't need to hatch more eggs for myself, so if anyone lives near enough I could separate her and let her set eggs for you. I'm in the Keeseville/Peru area of Clinton county.

So, my question is, is the broody who lost her eggs a threat to the other broody once the eggs hatch?
Possibly ...when they hatch you can move Mom & babies in a pen by them selves ..Which you should do anyway .
why dont you try giving her your hatch ? Controlled ..
Separate her in a pen ..and put them under her at night ..and see how she takes to them ?
Moving a broody to another persons house may break her ...because of the unfamiliar area ...Hens when transferred also sometimes stop laying at 1st .

Possibly ...when they hatch you can move Mom & babies in a pen by them selves ..Which you should do anyway .
why dont you try giving her your hatch ? Controlled ..
Separate her in a pen ..and put them under her at night ..and see how she takes to them ?
Moving a broody to another persons house may break her ...because of the unfamiliar area ...Hens when transferred also sometimes stop laying at 1st .
I only ever had one broody before and I did separate her and the chicks once they hatched. I forgot I did that, thanks for the reminder!
The chicks I hatched are between 20 and 28 days old, how dangerous is it to put them out with the broody if she rejects them? Nights are still pretty cold.
And I don't mean to give the broody to anyone, I meant I'd put her in a different pen and she could set eggs here for somebody since I know a broody is much nicer than fiddling with the incubator.

The chicks I hatched are between 20 and 28 days old, how dangerous is it to put them out with the broody if she rejects them? Nights are still pretty cold.
That is older than I expected ...you should know right away if she will accept them ..they will get pecked if she doesnt ..but you should be right there to see what the situation is . and pull them out ..I would try one or 2 at first ..do you have any the same color as she is ? as that matters to some hens and some dont care ..I would do the opposite put the broody inside...but in a small pen if you have one ..Dim the lights and try putting a sleeping chick under her
And I don't mean to give the broody to anyone, I meant I'd put her in a different pen and she could set eggs here for somebody since I know a broody is much nicer than fiddling with the incubator.- Oh that makes more sense

We figured out a plan. I've got 4 guinea keets due to arrive June 1st and I'll give them to her. If she doesn't take, I'll just break her broody. Hopefully next year she'll turn broody again along with her sister and I'll not use the incubator for next hatch. Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know I could give chicks to a broody, thought she had to hatch them herself.

We figured out a plan. I've got 4 guinea keets due to arrive June 1st and I'll give them to her. If she doesn't take, I'll just break her broody. Hopefully next year she'll turn broody again along with her sister and I'll not use the incubator for next hatch. Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't know I could give chicks to a broody, thought she had to hatch them herself.
It depends on the hen. Some will adopt - I've had good success when placing the chicks overnight under the hen when it's dark. Other hens won't adopt chicks unless they first hatch one or two of their own. Or if time elapses between her chicks hatching & the adopted chicks being added, she may not take them.

But, most of the time, they do just fine. I have the best success if they hatch a few & I add more from the incubator or another source within a day or two. Most hens can't count & I've had ones hatch 2 chicks but raise 20+ chicks total (with additional heat).

Hey guys.

We're in Oswego. We've got a broody hen, and are hoping to get some Barnevelders under her. Anyone know someone who's got fertile eggs?

Back
Top Bottom