NY chicken lover!!!!

Of course because they're new chickens they're laying like crazy so we're inundated! I thought about putting up a sign at work (that's where I sell most) and selling a doz. medium for a buck less. I've been eating two of them everyday and giving my dog one. Ugh, we're about egged out! I do stick one or two in each dozen, strategically placed so it's not as noticeable. Some are toooo small though, probably between a small and a medium (hoping they grow). I'll try the "cute" factor as well and see if that works. We sell the eggs to pay for feed so really would like to sell them. And, I'd like to be able to go back to eating one large egg a day instead, lol!

I have folks who actually prefer the bantam size as they are just right for snacking on. I mix small and large together and charge a lower price
Consider yourself fortunate you have EGGS...no matter what size.
We have 7 chickens and one of two are laying. Good chickens are
not available around here. We have one RIR and she lays JUMBO
eggs. We have what the gal said: were RIR 6 of them and only
one is laying. She said they were l year old. They look like production reds to me or ??? and they are probably older. So...we are with few eggs. People selling chickens should NOT do that. We need young hens that lay eggs. Aria

That really sucks, people are so darn untrustworthy. I remember that you live just a few miles from me, wish I had some to offer you - if you want medium eggs maybe we could sell one, lol! We've seen craigslist or facebook listings but are always so leary. I wouldn't mind finding someone to trade a couple of same age girls but 1. it's too hard to find someone that wants a medium layer and 2. back to the trust issue. It's scary out there. We weren't going to buy anymore this coming spring but looks like we'll have to so we can keep up with demand. :( You are probably better off just starting off with chicks....the time goes pretty fast, then all of a sudden they're laying!

one is laying. She said they were l year old. They look like production reds to me or ??? and they are probably older. So...we are with few eggs. People selling chickens should NOT do that. We need young hens that lay eggs. Aria

I really dislike that folks take advantage to offload older hens. You can buy started pullets from some of the hatcheries y'know. At least you would know they aren't 'old ladies'....:)

I agree, when we are ready to retire some of ours, I might list them (with their correct age) or we may do the "circle of life" thing (hate calling it what it is). Should we go with the latter I will not be present that day, ugh....we've named all ours so they're pets in my eyes.

That really sucks, people are so darn untrustworthy. I remember that you live just a few miles from me, wish I had some to offer you - if you want medium eggs maybe we could sell one, lol! We've seen craigslist or facebook listings but are always so leary. I wouldn't mind finding someone to trade a couple of same age girls but 1. it's too hard to find someone that wants a medium layer and 2. back to the trust issue. It's scary out there. We weren't going to buy anymore this coming spring but looks like we'll have to so we can keep up with demand. :( You are probably better off just starting off with chicks....the time goes pretty fast, then all of a sudden they're laying!
Thanks for understanding. We have NOT decided what to do?
Aria

Maybe when the time gets a little closer and we're looking online to order I'll shoot you a message and see if you want to add some to our order and split the shipping! ;) We haven't completely decided yet either but if we do I'll give you a holler!

Thanks for understanding. We have NOT decided what to do?
Aria

Maybe when the time gets a little closer and we're looking online to order I'll shoot you a message and see if you want to add some to our order and split the shipping! ;) We haven't completely decided yet either but if we do I'll give you a holler!
Sounds like a possible plan. Thanks Aria

I really dislike that folks take advantage to offload older hens. You can buy started pullets from some of the hatcheries y'know. At least you would know they aren't 'old ladies'....:)
boskelli, Thanks for letting me know. I DID NOT KNOW. We were
able to return the non laying chickens ...no problem. Today we
tried again....from a different person...we got 2 RIR and one Easter
Egger. Keep you posted. boskelli, which hatheries do you recommend? Thanks again, Aria

Back
Top Bottom