NY chicken lover!!!!

No problem! I used the rent a coop nipples from amazon....they are awesome. No leaks! Good luck!

Another question if you happen to be checking - we are going to make two of these pails, but they will be outside hanging....are yours outside? Worried about rain going in thru the elbows and getting the feed wet.....

Another question if you happen to be checking - we are going to make two of these pails, but they will be outside hanging....are yours outside? Worried about rain going in thru the elbows and getting the feed wet.....
Mine are under a covered run.....you could build a little cover to keep the elements off...I also siliconed around where the elbows meet the bucket to keep it as tight as possible.

Maybe something like this? Or a little taller...
1594335233682.jpeg

Maybe something like this? Or a little taller...View attachment 2235707

Yeah, we thought about something like this but want to attached right to the coop with a metal bracket to hang from. We'll have to build some sort of roof over it I guess. Still worry about rain blowing in sideways but I suppose that wouldn't happen often, if at all. In the winter they would be in a closed in run (plastic, hardware cloth). Thanks again!

I don’t have a vet, currently, for any other animal either. It’s a relief to hear that there are vets like yours that will prescribe meds and euthanize (I couldn’t bring myself to do it, which is why I phoned a friend). I’ve been a little surprised by just how little most vets know about chickens. I expected that most vets wouldn’t treat chickens, or know a lot about poultry health, but I thought I’d have at least a few vets to choose from in my region!
Thanks for the feedback, it’s very helpful. I thought I was completely outta luck, but hopefully I can find at least some care if I start calling around!

Cornell University Vet Hospital will see chickens through their ER and through their exotics service! They see a decent number - I'm a vet student there. :)

Cornell University Vet Hospital will see chickens through their ER and through their exotics service! They see a decent number - I'm a vet student there. :)
Thanks for letting me know! I thought they ONLY offered emergency services.

I was hoping to meet with a vet just to establish myself as a patient, briefly discuss where I am at regarding my small flock, and get professional veterinarian input about how I care for my chickens. I mean, I don’t know what I don’t know, you know? As a medical professional I know how to assess what information a client needs to know whether or not they specifically ask for it. For example, a person newly diagnosed with diabetes may not know how something like a cold could effect their blood sugar, and wouldn’t think to ask for that kind of info.

I’ve researched raising and caring for chickens extensively, and I know how to continue seeking out info as things come up, but I have less than a year of experience in raising them and would value the input of a vet in addition to all of the info I’ve read about.

Is that even a reasonable thing to ask of a chicken (or exotic) vet? Can Cornell provide that?

I was hoping to meet with a vet just to establish myself as a patient, briefly discuss where I am at regarding my small flock, and get professional veterinarian input about how I care for my chickens. I mean, I don’t know what I don’t know, you know? As a medical professional I know how to assess what information a client needs to know whether or not they specifically ask for it. For example, a person newly diagnosed with diabetes may not know how something like a cold could effect their blood sugar, and wouldn’t think to ask for that kind of info.

I’ve researched raising and caring for chickens extensively, and I know how to continue seeking out info as things come up, but I have less than a year of experience in raising them and would value the input of a vet in addition to all of the info I’ve read about.

Is that even a reasonable thing to ask of a chicken (or exotic) vet? Can Cornell provide that?

Honestly you should call and ask! Maybe ask for a 'well chicken check up' or something - I know they do book out at least a few weeks if not more because there aren't too many specialized exotics vets around here. That said, I LOVE the exotics service here - I've had them as professors and interacted with them a bit and they are lovely people - they are also board certified in exotics and avian med, rather than just someone who will see birds. I'm not sure how much they know about specifically chicken husbandry - perhaps the downside of them seeing everything from amphibians to parrots to chinchillas, so the actual number of each species they see each week is relatively few. But I know they do see a fair number of chickens.

In general, your questions are a very reasonable thing to ask of a vet (and honestly so much of the job is education about proper preventative care and diet, care - in some ways it's a bit like being a pediatrician). All of my personal work experience is in cat/dog medicine, but that was honestly the main and most important thing we discussed with clients all day.

Also though they are very backlogged right now because the hospital was closed for the past few months for all but emergency services... And they are trying to do a lot of telemedicine. So keep in mind scheduling (especially for a non urgent appointment) might be weird for the next few months.

Honestly you should call and ask! Maybe ask for a 'well chicken check up' or something - I know they do book out at least a few weeks if not more because there aren't too many specialized exotics vets around here. That said, I LOVE the exotics service here - I've had them as professors and interacted with them a bit and they are lovely people - they are also board certified in exotics and avian med, rather than just someone who will see birds. I'm not sure how much they know about specifically chicken husbandry - perhaps the downside of them seeing everything from amphibians to parrots to chinchillas, so the actual number of each species they see each week is relatively few. But I know they do see a fair number of chickens.

In general, your questions are a very reasonable thing to ask of a vet (and honestly so much of the job is education about proper preventative care and diet, care - in some ways it's a bit like being a pediatrician). All of my personal work experience is in cat/dog medicine, but that was honestly the main and most important thing we discussed with clients all day.

The world health organization states that the number one role of an RN is to be a patient advocate closely followed by patient educator. My experience in that role is largely what led to me hoping I could find similar care for my chickens from a vet, so I am very pleased to hear that education about preventative care is such a large part of what you all do!

Back
Top Bottom