NY chicken lover!!!!

Oh wow, there's a New York thread!

Hi!
I have 3 Guineas and 5 Pullets... Occasionally free ranged.
They're getting along for now.
I want a quiet rooster! (Hey, one can always dream right?)
Hello!! Are you opposed to crow collars? I’ve been doing research about them, they can help quiet the crowing a bit.

Hello!! Are you opposed to crow collars? I’ve been doing research about them, they can help quiet the crowing a bit.
Oh! I didn't think you were going to give them away. I'm going to hold out until my chickens are full grown. They're 12 weeks, so maybe in another month or two... Thank you!

I've read up on them too and it seems like they're not very humane? I'm not opposed to using it, I just don't want to cause my birds discomfort.

Are you interested ?too far away ?

Sorry! I quoted the wrong message above, I’m such an idiot...

My pullets are still young - 12 weeks old, so I’m going to wait until they’re full grown. I’m definitely looking into getting a rooster, just not right now. Thank you! and sorry again for the confusion 😭

How does everyone winterize their coops/runs? My coops are small and the run is not covered....maybe I should cover it before the snow comes? I have 5 chickens who sleep on one side and 4 on the other. The nights have already dipped into the 30’s for us 😫.

Also, do your chickens go out/free range even in the snow?

Attachments

• BC4D422B-C271-46CB-8B7D-C124AECC44A5.jpeg
    BC4D422B-C271-46CB-8B7D-C124AECC44A5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I used corrugated clear plastic panels last year on my larg open windows and it was great no humidity issues like when I used construction plastic it allowed for some extra air exchange without drafts and left a 6x2 ft window open all year on the east side of the coop. This year I add a hoop run that we will cover with a tarp once snow starts flying but leave the far end open for air exchange. The issue with your run being uncovered is they probably won’t use it unless you shovel the snow out. With coop remember it’s not warmth you want it’s no drafts. You need lots of ventilation to draw out the moist air and ammonia fumes. I raise silkies, seramas and this year added bantam ameracaunas and they all have done well in the winter with no extra insulation or heat added even in double digits below zero.
18162B10-C091-40F6-B822-FD752063DCDA.jpeg
0EE10AC0-BD06-4AC9-BC01-3772A3B810FA.png

I used corrugated clear plastic panels last year on my larg open windows and it was great no humidity issues like when I used construction plastic it allowed for some extra air exchange without drafts and left a 6x2 ft window open all year on the east side of the coop. This year I add a hoop run that we will cover with a tarp once snow starts flying but leave the far end open for air exchange. The issue with your run being uncovered is they probably won’t use it unless you shovel the snow out. With coop remember it’s not warmth you want it’s no drafts. You need lots of ventilation to draw out the moist air and ammonia fumes. I raise silkies, seramas and this year added bantam ameracaunas and they all have done well in the winter with no extra insulation or heat added even in double digits below zero.
View attachment 2335970View attachment 2335972
I am thinking of using that clear plastic corrugated material as a roof on my run to allow for sun to come through but keep snow out. I may need to do the same maybe half way up the sides of the run.

I am thinking of using that clear plastic corrugated material as a roof on my run to allow for sun to come through but keep snow out. I may need to do the same maybe half way up the sides of the run.
I wanted to use it for the roof but my husband didn’t think it would hold up to the snow load. Now having it I know it would not stand up to the branches from the trees falling on it. We took it down in the spring and stored it in the shed it will last.

Back
Top Bottom