hello im in the finger lakes too!
beautiful chickens everyone.
all my chickens are kinda funny looking cause:
1. most of them are broody.
2. most of them are also molting.
3. many of them are super old.
4. they are all mixed breeds.
ugh! I think I need some new chickens.
Nothing wrong with a mixed bag! I have several old ladies, everyone's molting but only 1 broody :)
My new girls are fitting in nicely and I have been moving the 'roos into the new, larger bachelor pad - so far so good.
I will have 1 'roo Welsummer x Breda who needs his own flock. Picture attached if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• DSCN0089 (2).JPG
    DSCN0089 (2).JPG
    947.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0096.JPG
    DSCN0096.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 5
hello im in the finger lakes too!
beautiful chickens everyone.
all my chickens are kinda funny looking cause:
1. most of them are broody.
2. most of them are also molting.
3. many of them are super old.
4. they are all mixed breeds.
ugh! I think I need some new chickens.

I have the same mix.. the molting ones are sad looking.. the old ones are also sad.. and the rest are naked necks ! :)

Finally got a few trails hand-mowed yesterday. So hot/humid I thought I was going to die!
th.gif
Weeded out some of the veggie beds, had a nice crop of Jimson weed growing there.... today is barn clean-up. At least it's cooler in there than outside. For those folks who love this heat & humidity - forgive me, but I'm dreaming of snowflakes!!
hide.gif

I found some jimson weed growing in my garden this year .... it has been growing out there for a few years but this is our first year doing the veggies in that area and I had no clue that was what it was until I used my plant identifier app the other day. I pulled it all up (3 plants) and this years seed pods didnt drop BUT I was going to let my chickens run in that garden until it got cold and I would be moving them to an old veggie patch closer to the house. Any issues with chickens digging, scratching up and consuming old seeds from previous years? I used to have a massive flock of birds but moved in 2016. Our yard here is small so my flock will only be 4-6 birds. I have 3-4 spots to rotate their tractor between but now I am wondering about this one veggie patch and it’s safety. I wont let the jimson weed grow again, now that I know what it is but past season’s seeds are a concern until someone tells me differently. I cant find anything about pasturing a flock where jimson weed used to grow. Any advice or your experience after pulling your weeds would be helpful. Thanks!

I found some jimson weed growing in my garden this year .... it has been growing out there for a few years but this is our first year doing the veggies in that area and I had no clue that was what it was until I used my plant identifier app the other day.. Any advice or your experience after pulling your weeds would be helpful. Thanks!
I had never heard of it before ...it is Poisonous to humans and animals .
it looks like the seeds are the most toxic part of the plant
http://www.plantsoftheworldonline.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:314738-2

I need to clean my gutters, grrr.
I've been saying I would put gutter guards up since spring, and I didn't. much regrets :(
On the bright side, lots of leaves means lots of composting material. hopefully I'll also collect enough as run bedding to last through next year.

Back
Top Bottom