NY chicken lover!!!!

Hey New York peeps,

There's a bill in front of the NY Senate right now and they're trying to slip emus in and make them illegal, labeling them as 'exotic pets' even though the USDA defines them as livestock. As someone who owns emus, I am of course very worried that this will pass and my birds will end up having to be rehomed, or worse, get taken from me.

If you have any time at all, please consider emailing your senator about this. Here's the bill:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S621

They're using a petting zoo that was already illegal, that then started selling animals that were, again already illegal, to justify this.

If you need ideas about what to say, perhaps something about how emus are livestock and are raised for meat, their fat which is rendered into emu oil, and their eggs which are both food and materials for crafts and jewelry, and how as such, they should not be classified as exotic pets in this bill.

Hey all. I’m looking for a flock for my 1 year old Jersey Giant rooster Colonel. He’s good a good protector and good with his hens. Only reason for rehoming is he pecked my daughter and now she’s petrified to help with the chickens (which was the main reason we got them aside from eggs). I’m located in Delaware county and willing to drive to meet up. Let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    696.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4187.jpeg
    IMG_4187.jpeg
    607.2 KB · Views: 3
Hey New York peeps,

There's a bill in front of the NY Senate right now and they're trying to slip emus in and make them illegal, labeling them as 'exotic pets' even though the USDA defines them as livestock. As someone who owns emus, I am of course very worried that this will pass and my birds will end up having to be rehomed, or worse, get taken from me.

If you have any time at all, please consider emailing your senator about this. Here's the bill:

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S621

They're using a petting zoo that was already illegal, that then started selling animals that were, again already illegal, to justify this.

If you need ideas about what to say, perhaps something about how emus are livestock and are raised for meat, their fat which is rendered into emu oil, and their eggs which are both food and materials for crafts and jewelry, and how as such, they should not be classified as exotic pets in this bill.
Thank you. Will pass this along to friends also.

Back
Top Bottom