NY chicken lover!!!!

Morning all. Today is lockdown day for the silkie eggs and hopefully by mothers day I will be a chicky mommy! They are all doing well so far so I am hoping for 9 healthy balls of fluff soon. I candled the 2 under my broody silkie Stripe and they are also progressing nicely and are only a few days behind. Looks like Little Man is proving to be the man after all!

The rain is holding up progress on the coop but I am hoping to do a few things today if it clears up. Looking a feeder ideas and waterers as 26 cheeps in a coop is a whole different ballgame from 8. It will get done. Hoping my mothers day coop comes today. Have to clear a spot for it. The silkies downstairs are going into it.

Lynzi--the hardest part of raising chickens is waiting for that first egg. I echo everyones sentiments. Dont try to add hens as you will only create more problems than you will solve. Enjoy your cheeps and they will be laying before you know it!!!

Morning all. Today is lockdown day for the silkie eggs and hopefully by mothers day I will be a chicky mommy! They are all doing well so far so I am hoping for 9 healthy balls of fluff soon. I candled the 2 under my broody silkie Stripe and they are also progressing nicely and are only a few days behind. Looks like Little Man is proving to be the man after all!

The rain is holding up progress on the coop but I am hoping to do a few things today if it clears up. Looking a feeder ideas and waterers as 26 cheeps in a coop is a whole different ballgame from 8. It will get done. Hoping my mothers day coop comes today. Have to clear a spot for it. The silkies downstairs are going into it.

Lynzi--the hardest part of raising chickens is waiting for that first egg. I echo everyones sentiments. Dont try to add hens as you will only create more problems than you will solve. Enjoy your cheeps and they will be laying before you know it!!!
Amy, I love bucket feeders and nipple waterers! The chicks start out with a purchased mason jar feeder, then gradute to a gallon size bucket feeder, than as they get bigger to a 5 gallon bucket feeder. So simple and very little waste. The nipple waterer needs to be adjusted as they grow, but that is easy.With 26 chicks you will probably need 2 of both! Good luck on you hatch!!!!

What breed of chicken do you have? Mine started laying at about 5 months of age....if your chicks are 6 weeks old you only have to wait for another 3.5 months or August, possibly sooner. Rancher Hicks had a chicken start laying at 14 weeks of age.
I have two silkies and a BO mix chick. I expect the BO will lay much sooner than the silkies. I keep reading everywhere that the silkies don't start laying until about 7 months of age which in my case will be November if I'm lucky! LOL

Lynzi, by November you will need to be providing artificial lighting (so they get their 12-14 hours of "daylight") if you want winter eggs.
big_smile.png

Well, now here is another question...with the 3 I have being 6 weeks old, I eventually wanted to get a couple of more chicks, lavender orps and possibly BCMs. If I get any more chicks in the near future - should I try to get some pullets around the same age as mine? Or regardless of age should they still not be kept together? Make sense? Like if I get chicks in June or July, how would I eventually bring them in to the coop to live with the others?

I think I need to get a truckload of sand to put into the smelly quagmire that used to be my run. Eeew. The rain is welcome, of course, but the run is getting a bit
sickbyc.gif
in some areas.

I have two silkies and a BO mix chick. I expect the BO will lay much sooner than the silkies. I keep reading everywhere that the silkies don't start laying until about 7 months of age which in my case will be November if I'm lucky! LOL
The Silkies will probably lay before the BO. My Silkies started laying at around 5.5 months. My Lav Orps, not until around 7 or 8 months.
You will need additional light as it will be fall when they are old enough.

The Silkies will probably lay before the BO. My Silkies started laying at around 5.5 months. My Lav Orps, not until around 7 or 8 months.
You will need additional light as it will be fall when they are old enough.
Good to know! Now I don't need a heat lamp, just some form of light in the coop right?

RIGHT NOW I AM IN JAY NY, THATS UP IN THE ADKS, I AM HERE TO READY THE HOUSE FOR SALE. AS SOON AS IT SELLS I WILL BE BUILDING ON A PIECE OF LAND THAT I HAVE UNDER CONTRACT TO PURCHASE IN POESTENKILL. I HAVE MANY DIFFRENT COLOR PATTERNS OF BRAHMAS, ALL YOUNG PULLETS AND COCKRELS. WELCOME TO BYC....
waves - I am in Keeseville

Nice to meet you :)

Back
Top Bottom