NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi all!! I have a coop questions! We are up in Carthage, so what do you suggest when it comes to building a coop? Should I be able to move it into the garage come winter time, or will they be ok out there all winter long (with lamps and such)? I have 8 chicks now, 5 weeks old and they are still sleeping in our house at night, and go out and play on nice days. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Hi all!! I have a coop questions! We are up in Carthage, so what do you suggest when it comes to building a coop? Should I be able to move it into the garage come winter time, or will they be ok out there all winter long (with lamps and such)? I have 8 chicks now, 5 weeks old and they are still sleeping in our house at night, and go out and play on nice days. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Outside is fine and you don't need heat lamps (read the thread on the peeps in Alaska who don't use heat lamps). 5 weeks old is generally old enough to go outside full time! =)

Last edited:
Outside is fine and you don't need heat lamps (read the thread on the peeps in Alaska who don't use heat lamps). 5 weeks old is generally old enough to go outside full time! =)

Even though they don't have all their head feathers yet? They are trying to come in, just not sprouting to fast :)

You will want to wean them off the heat, if you have a lamp on them. Check out the Old Timers thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/605260 . I had mine in the house under a heat lamp, but after reading through (part of) this thread, realized they would survive. Weaned them off the heat lamp and outside they went! Some are still in the tank in the garage, awaiting completion of the coop. That thread also clarified what I needed in the coop, not all the cushy amenities that the feed store thinks you need.

Off work this afternoon - daycare closed for disinfection. Little girl spent a couple days home this week with fever and very poor appetite. Fever gone, appetite slowly coming back. And like toddlers do so well, they shared germs with everyone. Since more than half the class was sick, they decided to close. Pain in the behind for me to take off more work, but glad to have the germs be gone in class.

The coop MUST be completed this weekend. The Eglu is getting crowded as everyone grows, tank is way over crowded, and the 2 bullies in the dog crate are pigs (3rd bully was integrated back into the Eglu). Morning chores of feeding chickens in 3 separate pens is getting tiring. And the ones in the tank and crate insist on dumping the feeders over. Got some pics of the portable coop in progress, hope to get finished pics this weekend then post them all for the world to see!
fl.gif

My sister in law just called to ask if there was a lost and found chicken place she could go. It appears her friend living on Horizon Lane in Levittown has had a hen walking around her yard for the past few days. She's posted pics on facebook and it sounds like maybe a rhode Island red. Sounds like a well taken care of chicken as it jumped in her lap when she sat on her chair. She is currently locked in her garage with some food (not appropriate chicken feed though) and water.

Anyone know if any levittown people on here that keep chickens? The woman who has her is Sue Maran and her number is 516-306-8830. I suggested she walk around the neighborhood and ask people if they know who she might belong to. If they can't find the owner, anyone willing to take her in? She's friendly, appears to be healthy and clean.

Last edited:
Welcome newchklvr to the NY thread!! Yup 5 weeks is old enough for outside, do wean them from the heat lamp. No external heat source is needed for winter (think fire hazard), just make sure your coop is not drafty but has adequate ventilation. No need to put in garage either. Have fun with your birds!!!!

My sister in law just called to ask if there was a lost and found chicken place she could go. It appears her friend living on Horizon Lane in Levittown has had a hen walking around her yard for the past few days. She's posted pics on facebook and it sounds like maybe a rhode Island red. Sounds like a well taken care of chicken as it jumped in her lap when she sat on her chair. She is currently locked in her garage with some food (not appropriate chicken feed though) and water.

Anyone know if any levittown people on here that keep chickens? The woman who has her is Sue Maran and her number is 516-306-8830. I suggested she walk around the neighborhood and ask people if they know who she might belong to. If they can't find the owner, anyone willing to take her in? She's friendly, appears to be healthy and clean.

Poor bird!! I hope her owners show up soon!!

Random chicken photo of the day - my main man Rosco in a pensive mood. OK, so he's probably just trying to find something new and interesting to eat, but he looks like he's deep in chickeny thought, and that's what counts.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom