NYS State Law about chicks

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Newtohens, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Newtohens

Newtohens In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    I just wanted to vent a little about NY State law when it comes to the sale of chicks. I currently live in a small village and I have 4 hens, I would like to get another 2-3 chicks and then my flock would be perfectly full and I would be content. I went to Tractor Supply because I wanted to buy two Buff Orps and a Tetra Tint, but was turned away because NYS law prevents them from selling anything less than 6 chicks. When questioned why, I was told that NYS wants to prevent people from buying chicks as pets and promote animal husbandry. I applaude the notion of promoting husbandry, but this law puts a hurt on the backyard chicken movement. People like me that only want a few hens can not buy them unless we have something to do with the other chicks, it just really burned me up. Sorry I just had to vent.

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Songster

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    It's not just NYS, most states have a similar law. Many years ago, there was a huge 'industry' of selling colored chicks (all roos) as additions to children's Easter baskets. I know...I got several that way. None of them lived more than a few days. We had no to keep them warm and safe. I admit, at my young age, I 'loved' a few of them to death. The current minimum 6 chick law is a direct result of that. Unfortunately, it does make it difficult for the knowledgeable small flock keeper just wanting to add a few chickens. However, if the law was removed, it wouldn't be long before stores would again market large numbers of chicks to well-meaning parents who yield to the pleading of their children.

3. Try to find a local breeder. I was told that the 6 chick minimum only goes for stores, not breeders selling chicks off of their private property.

4. PDurkin

PDurkin Chirping

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Depending on where you are located I would suggest looking at a local breeder or perhaps mypetchicken.com last time I checked they had a 3 chick minimum.

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Songster

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    You are not the only person going to that store wanting tp buy less than 6 chicks. Leave your name and number at the counter and ask them to hook you up with another buyer. Nothing says 2 people can't buy 6 or more and divide them up any way they like after they leave the store.

123RedBeard likes this.
  6. averytds

averytds Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Wow, wonder how they came up with that number and yet places all over have 2-4 hen limits on households. [​IMG]

I can't even imagine, our law here must be different or it just doesn't get enforced. I second the going to a breeder or trying to split with someone else. You could also buy and try to sell what you don't want.

7. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    You could buy the 6 chicks and raise some till almost laying age then sell them that way you could make some money. I know a few people who have done that. Here you have buy 5 chicks.

8. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    5 or 6 is not bad. In NH, you have to buy a dozen! It does make it hard when you only want to add a few, but there are almost always local chicken keepers who can sell you just a few.

9. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Songster

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    The manger at my TSC was very nice and allowed me to purchase fewer. I had heard on another thread that if you explain that you do not have room to house 6 more they will work with you. In my area TSC is the only place I've run into the 6 minimum thing, the smaller feed stores don't have a min.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    check, TSC in WI says the same but there is no such law, around here its meant for teensor people that go in and but a chick or 2 than let them go or something as outrageous. its more a company policy than a state law, why they don't just say that is beyond me. most think twice haveing to shell out $20-$30 bucks for a joke than $5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: