NYS State Law about chicks

Newtohens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
I just wanted to vent a little about NY State law when it comes to the sale of chicks. I currently live in a small village and I have 4 hens, I would like to get another 2-3 chicks and then my flock would be perfectly full and I would be content. I went to Tractor Supply because I wanted to buy two Buff Orps and a Tetra Tint, but was turned away because NYS law prevents them from selling anything less than 6 chicks. When questioned why, I was told that NYS wants to prevent people from buying chicks as pets and promote animal husbandry. I applaude the notion of promoting husbandry, but this law puts a hurt on the backyard chicken movement. People like me that only want a few hens can not buy them unless we have something to do with the other chicks, it just really burned me up. Sorry I just had to vent.

It's not just NYS, most states have a similar law. Many years ago, there was a huge 'industry' of selling colored chicks (all roos) as additions to children's Easter baskets. I know...I got several that way. None of them lived more than a few days. We had no to keep them warm and safe. I admit, at my young age, I 'loved' a few of them to death. The current minimum 6 chick law is a direct result of that. Unfortunately, it does make it difficult for the knowledgeable small flock keeper just wanting to add a few chickens. However, if the law was removed, it wouldn't be long before stores would again market large numbers of chicks to well-meaning parents who yield to the pleading of their children.

Wow, wonder how they came up with that number and yet places all over have 2-4 hen limits on households.
roll.png

I can't even imagine, our law here must be different or it just doesn't get enforced. I second the going to a breeder or trying to split with someone else. You could also buy and try to sell what you don't want.

You could buy the 6 chicks and raise some till almost laying age then sell them that way you could make some money. I know a few people who have done that. Here you have buy 5 chicks.

5 or 6 is not bad. In NH, you have to buy a dozen! It does make it hard when you only want to add a few, but there are almost always local chicken keepers who can sell you just a few.

The manger at my TSC was very nice and allowed me to purchase fewer. I had heard on another thread that if you explain that you do not have room to house 6 more they will work with you. In my area TSC is the only place I've run into the 6 minimum thing, the smaller feed stores don't have a min.

check, TSC in WI says the same but there is no such law, around here its meant for teensor people that go in and but a chick or 2 than let them go or something as outrageous. its more a company policy than a state law, why they don't just say that is beyond me. most think twice haveing to shell out $20-$30 bucks for a joke than $5

Back
Top Bottom