Nystatin cream for sour crop?

Alyssamary3

Chirping
Jan 25, 2021
I have a chicken that, I’m almost positive, has sour crop. She was lethargic all yesterday and today, almost no appetite, sitting the the yard puffed up with eyes closed. With a gloved finger, I checked her vent and there is no egg in reach. I felt her crop in the late morning. It is huge, and feels like a soft water balloon. Any ideas on treatment? After some research, I came across nystatin as a possible treatment. I have prescription nystatin cream from a baby who had diaper rash. Is this ok to give her? I’ll post a picture of the ingredients. We’ve never dealt with sour crop before, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 7
Nystatin is a good drug to use to treat sour crop but I wouldn't want to internally dose the bird using the cream with all the other in-active ingredients in it.

Can you get some miconazole suppositories from the women's health section at your local drug store? I successfully used them to treat a hen with sour crop. You cut the suppositories into approximately 4 equal pieces and dose once every 12 hours with one piece for 7 days in a row.

Nystatin is a good drug to use to treat sour crop but I wouldn't want to internally dose the bird using the cream with all the other in-active ingredients in it.

Can you get some miconazole suppositories from the women's health section at your local drug store? I successfully used them to treat a hen with sour crop. You cut the suppositories into approximately 4 equal pieces and dose once every 12 hours with one piece for 7 days in a row.
Thank you for getting back to me. Our little lady, Cecilia, didn’t survive the night. She will be very missed 😔

Back
Top Bottom