O GREAT...... TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT!!!!!

Anyone else hearing, " Jeepers Creepers, where'd you get those peepers?" ??
lol.png
great pics, awesome birds.

I have a pair of these nesting in the back of our property. They generally do that to cool themselves off. I thought the one was doing it to "impress" his mate, but apparently it's a cooling factor. They also pee down their legs to kill bacteria and vomit if they feel threatened. They are probably nesting there.

Mine have never come close to our house though. I even put a dead opossum about 20 feet from the back deck in open field, and they never came for it. Too close was my guess, because they had no problems cleaning up the predators I had taken care of and placed at the back of our property.

Around here I have heard a few farmers say that vultures wait around for cows to birth and then pick out the calves eyes and wait for them to die! Kind of gross! Hope its not true!
sickbyc.gif

No need to worry, they DO NOT eat live prey! They eat carion and vegetation. Here is an excerpt from The Vulture Society website:

Extremely unagressive and non-confrontational, the Turkey vulture will not feed on live prey, an occasional habit of its cousin the black vulture.

THIS is the full link. Check it out! I happen to
love.gif
vultures! I'm fascinated by them, actually, and love to photograph them. They're pretty cool, and they definately have their place in nature! They're the "janitors" of the natural world, and are great to have around. By eating carcases, they help prevent the spread of diseases and other nasty things. Granted, the job God gave them isn't glamorous, but hey, neither is the garbage man's! Cut them a bit of slack, they're important, even if they aren't "pretty".

yep....we have a TON of them around here. I see them all the time. Nothing to worry about though. They are not agressive at all (just butt ugly). they are kinda creepy though. I was out walking my property the other day and found a dead deer they were apparently taking care of...as I was approaching the area all I hear are dozens of those things taking off and the eerie sound of their clumbsy wings (thump, thump, thump)....like being in a scary movie...lol

They sure do take an interest when my girls are in the yard. I had one fly 10 feet over my head one day while sitting in the grass watching the girls. I heard the wing beats and yikes! The girls who don't really seem to appreciate me much all dove into my lap. I guess they know I'd save their bacon.

I have my own little Hinckley here every March. For a few days I have a couple hundred roosting in my trees and in the woods across the street. Really freaks the cats out!

Back
Top Bottom