1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

O No!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rhi13, May 12, 2010.

1. Rhi13

Rhi13 Chirping

Feb 19, 2010
    Belmont,NH
    SO I was about to add water to the incubator today, and the top slid from my hand a bit, and landed on my Runner Duck egg!!!! Im crushed.
    But the good news(maybe) is that the egg did not open all the way up. Its cracked and chipped, but the membrane did not get injured. Nothing leaked out at all.
    Someone please tell me... is there still hope for this little:([​IMG] guy???

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I can assure you there is still hope. I dropped a whole flat of turkey eggs last week while trying to put them back in the bator after candling. [​IMG] I was so upset and lost 3 immediately. I had another one with cracks on the top of the egg, so put it back in. I've rechecked it twice since the incident and it is still going strong. Just keep an eye for oozing, in case it doesn't make it..but there is hope.

3. Gonda

Gonda Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    I think there could be hope for sure. I had a cracked egg, cracked at about two weeks. I left it under the mom and candled it a few days later and did see life. And it hatched yesterday!!

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You can seal the crack with white candle wax. Don't use scented wax! Just plain ole white candle wax.

5. Rhi13

Rhi13 Chirping

Feb 19, 2010
    Belmont,NH
    Quote:Ohhh its far to big for any fixing! If I put anything over the spot, im afraid it will seep into the egg through the membrane. I can clearly see the membrane [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by