Oat Bran OK???? Please help....

jenjen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Oregon House, Ca.
I have a huge bag of Organic Oat Bran. I'm not familar with it. Is it something I can throw a couple handfulls to the chickens eveyday?? Does anyone know of any reasons it might not be healthy?? I have 10 pullets that are about 5 and 1/2 months old, not laying yet. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to make them sick. Thank You!

Oat bran is basically fiber and while they MAY eat it , it will provide VERY little nutrition for them. I would be suprised if they did eat it though. When I feed whole oats to mine, you have to watch close becasue they are fast but they pick up a kernal and if it is not solid (just a empty hull) they flip it out and go for another. Unless there is significant grain weight there, they will not eat it.

You can mix it with other wet treats like yogurt or leftover veggies. Remember that when bran is fed to animals it should be moistened first and allowed to expand a little so it doesn't imapct the crop. Be sure they have grit when you feed somthing without it added.

Last edited:
* The oil content of oat bran do tend to go rancid pretty quickly if it gets at all warm--Try to keep it good and cool, and make sure they/you are always taking in enough fluid with it. .Experiment with some of it, make oat bran muffins, banana oat snack loaves, oat bran pancakes, and part oat-bran oatmeal cookies. You can also use it as part of the "binder" for meatloaf.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom