Oatmeal and bananas on a cold winter day

Quote:
I asked at my local Agway feed store for oats. They do have "crimped" oats that look just like the one you'd get at the grocery store. 50lbs was about $9. I would think most feed stores would have it. I didn't buy it because I just don't have enough chicks to warrant that many oats! Also, use layer crumbles and make them a wet mash with warm water and add stuff to that. I think it's better for them to eat more layer feed and they love that too.

I do give them oatmeal once in awhile so I just buy the giant size at Walmart for them too.

When I make mine oatmeal I put in BOSS (black oil sunflowers seeds) or cat chow and blueberries or blackberries and then boil it.
The oatmeal I buy has flaxseed and wheat bran in it.
Why I give them the blueberries that took me hours to pick I have no idea
roll.png
but they really like it.
They attack it like a pack of sharks
lol.png

There's always Costco lol. Maybe a dollar store too. I've seen big bags of oatmeal there before.

I did oatmeal for a few days but then switched to every night making up a concoction of their current mix of crumbles and pellets mixed with a bit of scratch and some oyster shell. At 3 am when I go to mix it up with the hot water I chop up and apple and toss that in as well. Meh ladies destroy this makeshift oatmeal in the morning. They eat better than me at this point.
love.gif

My feedstore sells rolled oats for livestock (I used to feed them to my horses before I started economizing & switched them to whole oats).
I was paying about $12 for 50#

Now I just buy the large container of old-fashioned oatmeal at Aldi for the chickens - costs less than $3.
Every morning they get warm oatmeal with plain yogurt.
I think it helps keep them hydrated too.

Some mornings, instead of oatmeal, I take two slices of multigrain bread and tear it up into a bowl and add hot water till its all wet and soggy and steaming. The love all the whole grains and seeds in the bread and it's all gone within five minutes. Usually add all the leftovers too. Specially trailmix (unsalted), melon and grapes, sunflower seeds, cold fat from last night's lambchops, etc.

Back
Top Bottom