Oats = bad for chickens

Don't know if oats are bad for chickens.. Rolled oats possibly as they swell.. I know they are bad for me.. as I was raised on them and later family ate them three times a day as that was all we could afford.. I will say one thing, before the advent of the Internet, there were no recipes..

Iowa State University Agricultural Station did experiments over a period of about 5 years show that oats are the best single grain for young growing chicks, turkeys and excellent for laying hens, too. Experimental work elsewhere also indicates that oats are highly valuable as a poultry feed. Here are a few of the conclusions we have reached about oats as a result of our own experiments and those of others:

1. They are the best single grain for poultry of those commonly available in the Corn Belt (this includes corn, wheat, barley and oats).

2. Up to 40 percent, or perhaps even more, of the ration of the growing chick, the laying hen and the turkey may well be made of oats when the quality is good and the price justifies it.

3. Chicks fed on a ration that is high in oats will grow faster and feather more rapidly than on any other common grain.

4. When laying flocks are fed only one grain, mortality is least with oats.

5. Whole oats reduce cannibalism and feather picking in growing
and laying flocks.

See the rest here (yes, the link works this time :))
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=farmsciencereporter

Iowa State University Agricultural Station did experiments over a period of about 5 years show that oats are the best single grain for young growing chicks, turkeys and excellent for laying hens, too. Experimental work elsewhere also indicates that oats are highly valuable as a poultry feed. Here are a few of the conclusions we have reached about oats as a result of our own experiments and those of others:

1. They are the best single grain for poultry of those commonly available in the Corn Belt (this includes corn, wheat, barley and oats).

2. Up to 40 percent, or perhaps even more, of the ration of the growing chick, the laying hen and the turkey may well be made of oats when the quality is good and the price justifies it.

3. Chicks fed on a ration that is high in oats will grow faster and feather more rapidly than on any other common grain.

4. When laying flocks are fed only one grain, mortality is least with oats.

5. Whole oats reduce cannibalism and feather picking in growing
and laying flocks.

See the rest here (yes, the link works this time :))
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=farmsciencereporter
That research is well over 80 years old, we know a lot more about poultry nutrition now than we did then. At that time we did not know about many of the vitamins and minerals we supplement now.

Feeding oats as the sole feed is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Feeding any grain as sole ration for poultry feed would be bad news. From what I have read I would not make oats more than 40 percent of a ration. Just my opinion from what I have read.

I notice that my chickens love certain things to eat and not so much of other things. They love oats which I lay out on the ground occasionally. I also give them sunflower meats and kale. They also love canned corn - probably not the best but they go crazy over it. They have access to layer feed 24/7 which is their main diet. I have not seen any adverse effects of oats. I have 21 hens and often get 21 eggs a day, sometimes 20 and at least 19. They seem very healthy and happy.

I don't give oats regularly, I do however give them chopped boiled eggs mixed with cottage cheese regularly at least 3 x a week. I am looking for other sources of protein to feed them. I did read that someone gives canned fish and I am wondering if I can feed them sardines for a treat or tuna? Does anyone have information on canned fish for chickens?

I am looking for other sources of protein to feed them.

Chicken food is a fine source of protein.
Chick starter has more protein than layer feed, and game bird starter has even more protein.
All of those are safe to feed to chickens of all ages.
And they are typically much cheaper than buying canned fish!

(If you have laying hens, make sure they have a dish of oyster shell available for calcium, because the foods meant for chicks do not have enough calcium for laying hens-- but the hens usually do a good job of eating the right amount of oyster shell if you just leave it available in a separate dish.)

I don't give oats regularly, I do however give them chopped boiled eggs mixed with cottage cheese regularly at least 3 x a week. I am looking for other sources of protein to feed them. I did read that someone gives canned fish and I am wondering if I can feed them sardines for a treat or tuna? Does anyone have information on canned fish for chickens?
Some chicken rations have fish meal in it. Yes you could give the canned fish. Sardines with water. FIsh is high proteins and lot nutrients, omega 3.
I would be careful how much treats you give the chickens. Chickens do fine on regular ration and free range if able to.

I feed mine floating fish food 38%protein as a treat 1-2 times a week. My Yorkie even loves it . Costs 14$ for ab50# bag when I got it last fall. Watched a YT on it is how I came up with it . They don't always eat it up, kind of like oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom