Observations on behavior of different breeds - add your experiences

New Hampshire Reds: i only have the two hens, but they are very docile and easy to handle. they are NOISY birds, though, and have a 'bawk' that can be clearly heard through impact resistant windows, which block out most street noise.

Faverolles: ''The French Poodle of Chickens"

nice---but some can be fiesty.

Anconas: Flighty-crazy-lays white eggs.

Speckled Sussex: sweet-friendly

BO's what else is there to say!

Blue Andulusians: Great moms!

I have fifteen Barred Rocks about a year old. There friendly and talkative. Some lower status hens liked to be picked up. Good layers

My NH Reds are about 4 months old and are true the discription "fast maturing". I think they are close to laying. I enjoy their personalities the most. They're the most interactive; pleasant and friendly.

My EE's are somewhat skittish. A few of them do approach me. I love the green eggs; they're just begiing to lay.

And last weekend I bought a pair of Old English Bantams A rooster and a hen. So far they are still settling in. The roo does appear to have alot of personality. Shes quiet and serene. I cant wait to get to know them.

These are personalities of MY birds, I have no clue if these characteristics are common to the breed or not....
Porcelain D'uccles sweet little curious birds, always huddled together away from the other brreeds in the flock
black cochin bantam does not come near me! The prettiest of my girls, but also sooo shy. I come with treats but she will stay as far away as possible and wait until I throw her a treat. very submissive to the other chickens.
Blue cochin bantam unlike her black best friend, very curious and will eat from my hand and even let me pick her up without fuss, if she has no where else to run!
16761_newcoop2.jpg

from bottom---2 porcelain d'uccles, blue cochin, black cochin, a red backyard mix(VERY curious and sooo friendly), and upper left is another backyard mix, i think!(a little skiddish, but will eat from my hand if I wait a few minutes)

6mutts: the hen upper left looks like a light Brahama?

Also how to you pronounce the D'uccles ? I never know!

Thanks, Junebug

We started with Lt Brahmas, and they were handled A LOT as babies. They have never been aggressive to other chicks, even as they age (they are 8 mos now) and the rooster is the first one to greet us when we go to the coop. They are quite curious and always want to see what is going on, but again not in an aggressive manner. They are the first ones to roost in the evening. I have one pullet that wants to be alone most of the time, but is very friendly with people. They will follow us around and are very vocal, but not loud.
Next came the Bantam Cornish, and they are quite another story. They have always been skittish, no matter how much we handle them they can't seem to grasp that we aren't going to hurt them. They roos are quite aggressive with the other birds and seem to have favorite "victims". They chase after and scream at them almost relentlessly at times. Two roos will soon be going into the freezer. The pullets are skittish but aren't nearly as aggressive as the roos.
We then got Buff Brahmas, Dark Brahmas, a Cochin and 4 Dominiques (that turned out not all Dominique). The Brahmas are much the same as my first ones, very friendly and curious and not skittish at all. The Buffs seem smaller than the others but that's the biggest difference. One Buff is a roo, and he was more aggressive than the Lt. roo. He started biting at my legs and running at me when I turned my back to him. I took some tips from others here and he is no longer a problem at all. He is not aggressive to the other birds. One Dominique roo is the most "chicken" of all my chickens - he hides most of the time and almost panics if you try to move him. He is very pretty but I'm not impressed with his personality. The other roo is good with the other birds and doesn't mind people. I have one Dominique pullet that is very quiet, and that's what we named her. She is neither friendly nor skittish with people. One Dominique turned out to be a Barred Rock and he is a roo. He is beautiful and has not caused any problems at all.
I then got 2 more Dominique pullets, well they were supposed to be Dominiques - turns out they are Cuckoo Marans. They keep to themselves pretty much but get along with the other birds when they are around. Most of the flock free ranges during the day, but the Marans seem to want to hang around the coop or pen even when everyone else goes out for the day. They are not skittish with people, but are nowhere near as friendly as the Brahmas.
From my personal experience, I will never be without Brahmas of some sort. They are very good with my son, who is 6, and get along very well with whatever we have put with them. They are HUGE birds and some people are scared of them based soley on their size, and since they are friendly they tend to come right up to people which makes some nervous. We just love them, all of them, but the Brahmas are our favorites for sure.
wink.png

I just have one of each, but raised them together from chicks

Barred Rock: very inquisitive, rulse the flock but is very nice about it

Buff Orpington:
She's by far the noisiest chicken we have- I think she's unusual for Buff Orp, from what I hear. Very friendly, will sit on the arm of the lawn chair with you- one of our most regular layers

Brown Leghorn: Skittish and flighty, does not like being held and runs fast, when she was younger she was definitely the trouble makerand escaped the yard the most but now that she's laying she has settled down a bit, also she'll stop laying eggs at the drop of a hat and then start again a few days later

Black and Gold Sexlink:
these two are very mild mannered and sometimes get pushed around by the others, very sweet birds, both good layers

Americauna: keeps to herself a lot, inquisitive, doesn't like to be held

Ancona - The pullets are a bit standoffish, but the rooster will eat from my hand. They are the top chickens, by far.

Black Minorcas - Very, very friendly and also very curious. They are always watching me and will perch on my arm, back shoulder, etc. The rooster is a little less friendly.

Ameraucanas - The pullets are very flighty and skittish. The rooster a little less so, he will eat from my hand.

Austalorps - Super friendly, run to me when I open the coop door, like to be petted though not held. Very quiet girls.

Blue Cochins - I have two pullets, one is quite friendly, the other I can not get too close to.Beautiful girls.

Black Cochin - I have one pullet, very friendly.

Blue Andalusian - I have one pullet, she is most lovely, calm, and friendly. She is also very inquisitive.

White Plymouth Rocks Have 6 pullets & 1 cockerel. Shy personality, do not like to be picked up. Will come running for treats and food, but mine have not eaten from my hand or sat on lap. Easy to herd up and put in coop, seem to be aware of preditors (lost quite a few to racoons, but they also watch the skys). Cockerel is quiet, rarely crows, but always sounds off when we arrive (I think is happy to see us), he is also very mellow. A pullet jumped up and down about a week ago when we arrived, could tell she was happy:) They are 6 months old and live on our farm, livestock not pets..but I like them alot! 30 more chicks coming next week!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom