Obsessive Chicken Disorder (OCD) help and support thread 😂😅🐔

Pics
Hi! I started with 10 hens now I have 37 and I’m going to buy more Sablepoots tomorow:celebrate Hatching is VERY addictive! This spring I’m going to hatch:
- 12 bantam Cochin eggs
- 5 Sablepoot X Silkie eggs
- 5 Easter egger or Olive egger eggs?
(Btw is there anyone who will be selling Easter egger or Olive egger hatching eggs in spring? Only people willing to ship to SK .Please PM me)

Wow, I feel so… normal :celebrate
My grandpa gave me his chickens as a kid because I sat in the coop every day and always had a hen under my arm, in my sister’s baby doll stroller, in the fort… I’d like to know how many rolls of film were developed with chickens on them- thank goodness for albums and Shutterfly calendars now!
I set my max this time at “under 10”, then promptly ordered 2 err *cough* 4 dozen plus some eggs to spice up virtual school since that’s what all the cool kids are doing on BYC. In my defense, my mother asked me for another cochin (the woman who swore she was done with chickens) and when asked how many my nieces could have she never gave me an answer. Soooo everyone’s getting a coop for early Christmas! Woohoo!
Do I count the ones in the coop, brooder, orders or incubator…?

As for the OCD DSM-pictograph… I think I may qualify, I make an annual family calendar with chicken pics, caused OCD in 2 nieces with a sister who doesn’t like em (see chickens in stroller reference), and I have the same red chicken boots! Mostly so I don’t bring germs to the girls.
Oh, and I almost became a “Florida woman” (google “Florida man” for random weird headlines if you’re unfamiliar) when a hawk got trapped in the coop and I barreled in with 2 rubber dog toys before realizing this was a bad idea. After a near miss of getting his nose taloned, the goofiest of all Pyrenees opted to cause a stampede. He paused to sample manure de heifer, they didn’t. I just knew that video was going to make it online…

This is my first year with chickens. I bought 4 pullets (2 barred rock, 2 red sex-link but they are different from each other) and a prefab coop from TSC and was going to give it a year to see if chickens were my thing.

Then, I saw silkie chicks nearby. Picked up 3 but one passed on day four. One a for sure cockerel.

Built a bigger coop for the 6 we would have. For sure no more. 🙄

An acquaintance who had been a breeder was having to get out of chickens due to personal changes and gave me 3 more silkie chicks. Possibly all cockerels.

Decided, why not have blue eggs? Went to pick up either 3 pullets or two pullets and a cockerel EE. Blah blah blah... Two cockerels and a pullet. 🤦‍♀️ Repurposed a big doghouse and kennel for quarantine coop.

So now I have 12 total with for sure 3 being cockerels, possibly as many as five.

My husband said I could have as many as I wanted as long as he didn't have to build another coop right now. LoL But there are so many hawks and raccoons about that I'm waiting until they're older and wiser to try free-range, at least part of the day.

I really shouldn't get more until we have a much larger coop. But Speckled Sussex and Crested Cream Legbars are on my short list to have soon. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have yet to find them nearby.

I love my barred rocks personality towards people and am quite fond of their looks. Just wish they weren't so apt to bully new chickens.

A few random snaps.

Attachments

• PSX_20210917_144211.jpg
    PSX_20210917_144211.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 1
  • PSX_20210903_151241.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151241.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PSX_20210903_151052.jpg
    PSX_20210903_151052.jpg
    984.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Resized_20210919_121521_20210919_125745.jpeg
    Resized_20210919_121521_20210919_125745.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210907_195052_056.jpg
    IMG_20210907_195052_056.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 1
This is my first year with chickens. I bought 4 pullets (2 barred rock, 2 red sex-link but they are different from each other) and a prefab coop from TSC and was going to give it a year to see if chickens were my thing.

Then, I saw silkie chicks nearby. Picked up 3 but one passed on day four. One a for sure cockerel.

An acquaintance who had been a breeder was having to get out of chickens due to personal changes and gave me 3 more silkie chicks. Possibly all cockerels.

Decided, why not have blue eggs? Went to pick up either 3 pullets or two pullets and a cockerel EE. Blah blah blah... Two cockerels and a pullet. 🤦‍♀️ Repurposed a big doghouse and kennel for quarantine coop.

So now I have 12 total with for sure 3 being cockerels, possibly as many as five.

My husband said I could have as many as I wanted as long as he didn't have to build another coop right now. LoL But there are so many hawks and raccoons about that I'm waiting until they're older and wiser to try free-range, at least part of the day.

I really shouldn't get more until we have a much larger coop. But Speckled Sussex and Crested Cream Legbars are on my short list to have soon. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I have yet to find them nearby.

I love my barred rocks personality towards people and am quite fond of their looks. Just wish they weren't so apt to bully new chickens.

A few random snaps.
welcome to the group! the first year is always hard to overcome without getting more!

A few random snaps.
Aww! They are so pretty! 😍😍😍

Back
Top Bottom