Obsessive Preening (Q1) No Eggs (Q2)

kathchick

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Hi there, I have just joined this forum, have already used many times for info. I am a new backyard chicken person. After doing a lot of research, I decided upon Australorp Bantams, and in April I managed to get some POL. They settled in really well and started laying within a day or so. The whole family are very attached to them, in particular my Autistic son! The Chickens are allowed free range when we're at home. Sage (top hen)is brown, Onion (middle hen) is white and Thyme (the most hen pecked - but probably my favorite!) is a speckled grey colour. Well that's my introduction. I will now go on to seek some help!

Firstly, Onion, wont stop preening her self, obsessive chicken disorder I think.!(last 6-8 weeks) I weekly disinfect the hen house with Jeyes, have pressure washed it, and sprayed with Permethrin spray. Over the past 6 weeks I have treated all hens with spot on formulation (ivermectin for parrot sized birds) and sprayed them with anti-mite extra (permethrin). She eats and drinks well and lays most days. Is it just her personality?

Secondly, Thyme, the lowest in the pecking order, has stopped laying eggs since beginning of July. She is still eating and drinking well and enthusiastically free ranges. I can't feel anything, is it constipation as I only see 2 piles of poo in the morning. I'm very fastidious in clearing poo on a daily basis.

I have also wormed with Vermex, and am giving tonic in the water. I love them to bits but seem to be worrying about them all the time. Look forward to hearing any advice that you can offer - even if it's just STOP WORRYING!

First, let me say
welcome-byc.gif

Second, let me say "Stop worrying!"

Okay, all joking aside, some of the ladies in my flock preen all the time. I think they just enjoy doing it. They have no sign of bugs on them at all. I would consider her a beauty parlor addict and go on with life.

As far as not laying goes, it could be a number of things. If she is acting healthy and normal otherwise, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. It could be too hot, she could be just irregular (esp if she is a new layer) or she could be one of those chickens that just doesn't do <that>. I had one in particular, when she first started laying, would only lay one egg a week. That was it. She now lays like a champ. One of my friends has an EE who layed one egg, period. She is now about 3 years old.

I have an EE who is a champion layer, she lays six eggs a week, religiously.

Thank you for your reply, I feel reassured now and am just going to "chill". Best wishes. Kathchick

Back
Top Bottom