Obstruction in crop. Chicken eats saw dust!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whalvo, May 2, 2011.

1. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    My spotted sussex has been showing a lot of swelling in the crop region. She can barely walk straight and the thing just bulges and hangs when she roosts. I had my nurse neighbor (who also has chickens) take a look at her and she determined that there is a lot of wood shavings in her crop (what we have been using as bedding). She even had me feel it and you can, indeed, feel the pine shavings IN the crop. She induced vomiting and got what she could out of our bird's crop and then proceeded to give her an enema (yes... she is hardcore). We can't really tell if she's pooping or not since we have no way of isolating her to observe her movements. She is still eating and the bulge just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Anyone ever see this in a bird? Is there anything else we should try?

THANKS
    Whit

2. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Is grit available? Also you can use cod liver oil, olive oil or mineral oil (some people disagree on the mineral oil but my vet said all three are great at helping impacted crops). Unfortunately the crop will continue to get impacted if grit is not provided or taken. I feed my girls a little oil in their treats once a week or directly into their mouths via syringe after loosing a pullet to an impacted crop. I like to hold them on my lap, give them the oil and lightly massage the crop. They usually go to sleep right in my lap while I do this!

Good luck and please keep us updated! I'm always trying to learn more!!

3. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    Thanks! What is grit?

I can try the oil treatment. I'm sure my neighbor has a syringe somewhere...

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Grit is ground up rock, usually granite , that the birds swallow and keep in their gizzard to grind up food, since they don't chew. Most birds require grit, even parakeets, and canaries.

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    How do you induce vomiting with a chicken?

6. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    Regarding the vomiting, she massaged the crop just so and then held her face-down and she puked for a good 10 minutes. Didn't empty the crop, if you can believe it...

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I wish I knew why they eat pine shavings. I see it alot. Right now I'm studying minerals needed, and trying Manna show conditioner as a supplement.

8. whalvo

whalvo New Egg

May 2, 2011
    My neighbor actually wants to perform the surgery on her. I trust her because she's been a nurse for many years and, if anyone can handle it, she can! I'm torn, though. It seems pretty traumatic for poor Martha...

9. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    Aw. I hope she gets better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by