October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

I haven't even set eggs or anything yet but I thought I would let ya all know I am in! I was in the September hatch for myself, I had 39 eggs go in, 25 into lock down 16 pipped total 2 of those pipped and died and I had 2 die in the incubator because they were weak and had 1 die in the brooder. So I have 11 chicks... I think my humidity was a little to high, I was concerned about the air cells after candeling on day 15 and I dropped the humidity but they were still small at lockdown.... I have ANOTHER (4 of them now) thermometer and 3 hygrometers but I will pay much more attention to air cell size this time.... ANYWAYS I decided to offer high schools biology/anatomy/life science teacher a new experience, he had said he had always thought about hatching eggs but as most of us know buying an incubator plus buying hatching eggs can be pricey, and being a small school there isn't much money to go around, so I offered him the experience for free :) We will set the eggs on October 5th for a hatch on October 26 in the middle of the week that way even if we hatch a day early or late we can still see all the action! I am supper excited to share this with lots of people at the school, and I'm sure it will be the talk of the school come hatch week! If you have any tips on incubation in a school setting be sure to let me know as any advice will be appreciated!

I haven't even set eggs or anything yet but I thought I would let ya all know I am in! I was in the September hatch for myself, I had 39 eggs go in, 25 into lock down 16 pipped total 2 of those pipped and died and I had 2 die in the incubator because they were weak and had 1 die in the brooder. So I have 11 chicks... I think my humidity was a little to high, I was concerned about the air cells after candeling on day 15 and I dropped the humidity but they were still small at lockdown.... I have ANOTHER (4 of them now) thermometer and 3 hygrometers but I will pay much more attention to air cell size this time.... ANYWAYS I decided to offer high schools biology/anatomy/life science teacher a new experience, he had said he had always thought about hatching eggs but as most of us know buying an incubator plus buying hatching eggs can be pricey, and being a small school there isn't much money to go around, so I offered him the experience for free :) We will set the eggs on October 5th for a hatch on October 26 in the middle of the week that way even if we hatch a day early or late we can still see all the action! I am supper excited to share this with lots of people at the school, and I'm sure it will be the talk of the school come hatch week! If you have any tips on incubation in a school setting be sure to let me know as any advice will be appreciated!

That sounds fun! I love it that kids get to see chickens hatching... I think they remember it forever!
My only advice is to make sure kids can't mess with the controls... Knobs and such are pretty irresistible : ). I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I candled my eggs a day early... I am on day 6 with my super special Serama eggs. I have 5 developing and looks like one clear. I have barely been turning them because the first batch made me paranoid . They seem to be doing pretty well! :fl I am excited.

I also got a new little silkied hen the other day and she has already laid a couple of eggs for me. I have another hen that is broody so I am going to pop them under her! I can't wait to see what hatches, it is like getting bonus hatching eggs from another flock.

I think I might have messed one up already. I shine the light through them with them laying in the incubator and one looked dark. I picked it up to look closer and the yolk part looks a bit weird and darker than the others. There's a baby and veins though. Tomorrow's day 7 and I'm going to mark the air cells. I'll get another look then. I know, I probably mess with them too much. My husband says I'm like a kid with a tiny kitten and going to maul them. :p But I'm turning by hand so I don't see the harm in peeking at them with the light once a day.

I candled my eggs a day early... I am on day 6 with my super special Serama eggs. I have 5 developing and looks like one clear. I have barely been turning them because the first batch made me paranoid . They seem to be doing pretty well! :fl I am excited.

I also got a new little silkied hen the other day and she has already laid a couple of eggs for me. I have another hen that is broody so I am going to pop them under her! I can't wait to see what hatches, it is like getting bonus hatching eggs from another flock.

I have two silkie pullets and a showgirl pullet I'm waiting on to lay. They are about six months, so it might be a while more. Silkies are soo cute. I bet you will get some adorable chicks from her eggs.

I have two silkie pullets and a showgirl pullet I'm waiting on to lay. They are about six months, so it might be a while more. Silkies are soo cute. I bet you will get some adorable chicks from her eggs.

These are actually silkied Serama eggs. They are seramas with feathers like a Silkie! Here are the two new additions ...

I have silkies too though and have been hatching them like crazy! I have more hatching in a week and am hoping for paint chicks, maybe even a paint showgirl. :D

I think I might have messed one up already. I shine the light through them with them laying in the incubator and one looked dark. I picked it up to look closer and the yolk part looks a bit weird and darker than the others. There's a baby and veins though. Tomorrow's day 7 and I'm going to mark the air cells. I'll get another look then. I know, I probably mess with them too much. My husband says I'm like a kid with a tiny kitten and going to maul them. :p But I'm turning by hand so I don't see the harm in peeking at them with the light once a day.

Your husband is funny. Sorry if I made you feel bad about candeling, I am only thinking of your eggs! ;)

Hello, another Arizona person here. I only have a flock of Australorps here. I already set a dozen eggs from my Australorps into a styrofoam still-air Little Giant incubator on the evening of Sept. 19th. My Splash Australorp boy is getting kicked in and trying to become a roo as they say, and having his way with my Black Australorp hens who are older than he is. I am hoping that he is fertilizing the eggs now, so that I can have my Australorp blue babies. (If you notice, BlueBaby is my nic here). I will candle on Monday night to see if he has bingo'd for me yet, or if I have to wait some more.

Hello, another Arizona person here. I only have a flock of Australorps here. I already set a dozen eggs from my Australorps into a styrofoam still-air Little Giant incubator on the evening of Sept. 19th. My Splash Australorp boy is getting kicked in and trying to become a roo as they say, and having his way with my Black Australorp hens who are older than he is. I am hoping that he is fertilizing the eggs now, so that I can have my Australorp blue babies. (If you notice, BlueBaby is my nic here). I will candle on Monday night to see if he has bingo'd for me yet, or if I have to wait some more.

I hope he's been getting lucky! Sounds like he's trying to charm those ladies, and that is a tough job for a young roo. I am crossing my fingers for you!

Back
Top Bottom