October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Day 18 lock down on chimpmumk hatch. Looks like bacteria has entered from somewhere (that awful green tinge on candling) so anyones guess how many hatch. Some eggs look like they are 10 days behind the others... I really don't know why I've kept the janoel 8-48 but maybe it will prove me wrong. 27 eggs to hatch
If they're developmentally behind, maybe they're quitters? Or can you see active embryos?

I swear my eyes play tricks on me any time I'm trying to determine if one's a quitter.

Well unfortunately only 6 out of 11 eggs I put into lockdown hatched. I'm thinking this might be my fault due to careless placement of the incubators... The desk they're on is in front of a window AC unit, and also next to the washing machine - I noticed a day or two before lockdown that the whole thing vibrates like crazy when the washing machine spins. ANYWAY, therefore, I have moved my little incubators to a more secure spot and will be setting more eggs tonight. I will get some pictures of the six cuties later on.

We're on day 13 and no further losses!

Everyone's been weighed and most are on target. One of my Orpingtons could stand to lose more (but that one started at a whopping 66g!). And one or two of my campines are withing 1g of their ideal lockdown weight, so losing a bit fast... :/

Should still be in the safe range, but wondering where the variation is coming from as I have others their size which are perfectly on target give or take a gram. Maybe shell porousness?

One of the orpingtons has much less vascular development than its siblings and the campines(which have crazy good vascular dev). Anybody noticed this impacting the hatch at all?

Otherwise the little one is active, fetus doesn't seem behind in size, and has settled in deep like everyone else.

Fingers crossed on my last 5 orps all having a smooth hatch. At this point, I think these little campines may be part cockroach. I would not be surprised if they started popping on lockdown day with how fast they are.

I keep having to drop the incubator temp - those lil guys are so full of energy, the Bator is set to 36.8 with the centre sitting in high 37s/38.

Toasty babies...

Welcome! :) can’t wait to see how it goes! May I ask what the abbreviations GP and BP Brahma mean?
Hi...Thanks for the welcome. GP is Gold Partridge also known as just Partridge. BP is Blue Partridge...and those are my favourites! However when you breed BP with BP you of course get a mix of BP, GP and Splash babies. So this hatch will be very exciting for me. It is also my first incubator hatch of Brahma.....new breed, new colours, new people to talk to .... oh my!

Pics as promised! One had a leg splayed out so s/he gets a bandaid

PXL_20211006_005608673.MP.jpg

PXL_20211006_005649462.jpg

If they're developmentally behind, maybe they're quitters? Or can you see active embryos?

I swear my eyes play tricks on me any time I'm trying to determine if one's a quitter.
Can see active movement, but I have found with this upright turner they seem to only develop in middle of egg,and the bottom is an empty void (can shine light straight through bottom no veins or anything just bottom of blob) so guess I will see in next 2 days whats going on

Hi...Thanks for the welcome. GP is Gold Partridge also known as just Partridge. BP is Blue Partridge...and those are my favourites! However when you breed BP with BP you of course get a mix of BP, GP and Splash babies. So this hatch will be very exciting for me. It is also my first incubator hatch of Brahma.....new breed, new colours, new people to talk to .... oh my!
Wow! How fun :jumpy

Bebeez! I still have 1 week to go. Lockdown on Monday and I'll start feathering a nest for the little muffins.

Our Silkie was 2 1/2 weeks broody when we set the eggs and she is *still* at it. Coulda given her some at this rate... I really thought she'd be done by now, but she does go long and go hard. :/
Can't you give her some eggs to hatch now? Transfer some over to her so she has just 1 week till hatch? It really is so cute to watch mother hen care for her chicks 😍

Back
Top Bottom