October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Just checking, with eggs under a broody hen, what is the best time to candle eggs before they explode? Like if some aren't fertile how long do I have before they go rotten /explode? Do I have 2 weeks or should I candle earlier to make sure?
I candled at day 6, 12, and 18, I think. My silkie was really good with letting me run off with her eggs for a bit.

By 6, you should be able to see what's a dud and by 12, you should know what needs to be cleared out.

I candled at day 6, 12, and 18, I think. My silkie was really good with letting me run off with her eggs for a bit.

By 6, you should be able to see what's a dud and by 12, you should know what needs to be cleared out.
Thanks for your reply!
I usually do candle but this is a first time broody mumma so I don't want to disturb her too much, so I was going to wait till I caught her off the nest but so far not been able to catch that moment. She's at day 9 so if I haven't caught her off in the next few days I'll have to take her off and candle.

Thanks for your reply!
I usually do candle but this is a first time broody mumma so I don't want to disturb her too much, so I was going to wait till I caught her off the nest but so far not been able to catch that moment. She's at day 9 so if I haven't caught her off in the next few days I'll have to take her off and candle.
You may need to kick her off for her own health too. My silkie was horrible about getting off the nest the first time I gave her eggs. I had to kick her off twice a day to make sure she took care of herself. She should still be eating, drinking and dust bathing. Keep an eye out for mites if she's not. My girl could get very uncooked nated on her feet if she wasn't getting regular time off the nest.

You may need to kick her off for her own health too. My silkie was horrible about getting off the nest the first time I gave her eggs. I had to kick her off twice a day to make sure she took care of herself. She should still be eating, drinking and dust bathing. Keep an eye out for mites if she's not. My girl could get very uncooked nated on her feet if she wasn't getting regular time off the nest.
Unfortunately she is restricted to a broody coop due to one of roosters not leaving her alone even in the nest, so no access to dust bath. I have been dusting her with Pestene mite lice powder and gave Ivermectin to kill any problems there.
She has been getting off at least once a day - I can smell that from a mile away! :sick

14 clears and 3 quitters. Not how my hatches normally go! Must have had some rough handling in shipping :confused: Made Foxfire aware just incase it’s helpful for them. Bummer though!

The good news… there are still some experimental quail eggs that are developing. 6 more days 🤗
I want to try that next! Did you order fertile, or did you just pop down to the grocery store to really try your luck?

Back
Top Bottom