October 2021 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Ugh, these poor Orpingtons are having a rough time if it. I've gotten another two with bloodrings. Am leaving them overnight to be sure cause it looks like there may be some embryo movement.

So once these go, I'll be down to 5 BBS Orpingtons. The 7 campines are all looking great and have shifted down lower in the shell, so the issue seems to be with these eggs or their handling in transit.

I'm hoping we don't lose any more of the Orpingtons since they're expensive showline birds and I'm hoping for one blue and one splash pullet, but dunno how good my odds are at the moment.

9 3/4 arauana are out. I did end up taking the first to zip then stop out when I couldn't see any more pips, it was a sticky chick and completely stuck, a lot of warm water and help later it's out of it's shell and chilling in my small incubator because I don't want to open the other one again. 2 pure Araucana are out in their incubator and the third is trying. it pipped the wrong end so taking its time, these usually hatch without my help but the membrane looks a little dry. will evaluate that one in 24 hours.
Welsummers hatch day tomorrow

This is the wrong end pipped chick. I think humidity was too low at the start of lockdown. All the others in this incubator are popping out without any issues.
Will wait and watch but I worry its stuck like the other one.
20211003_174942.jpg 20211003_213116.jpg

*edit. while no other eggs were pipped I went in. it had zipped most of the way then got stuck. some warm water and a helping hand to finish off the zip it kicked it's self right out of the shell

Last edited:
Ugh, these poor Orpingtons are having a rough time if it. I've gotten another two with bloodrings. Am leaving them overnight to be sure cause it looks like there may be some embryo movement.

So once these go, I'll be down to 5 BBS Orpingtons. The 7 campines are all looking great and have shifted down lower in the shell, so the issue seems to be with these eggs or their handling in transit.

I'm hoping we don't lose any more of the Orpingtons since they're expensive showline birds and I'm hoping for one blue and one splash pullet, but dunno how good my odds are at the moment.
Sorry you are having such trouble with your eggs. Shipped eggs are always so tricky. I hope you get the pullets you want out of them.🙂

Back
Top Bottom