October Hatch-a-long 2022šŸŽƒšŸ£šŸ

This is why I was wondering if I needed to keep the black silkie I had mentioned before...for test purposes and or for lavender breeding.
You can use your black Silkie to create ā€œsplitsā€ if crossed with a lavender bird. All offspring will be recessive for lavender.

If a black bird comes from a lavender pen there is a chance it could be a split and breeding to a lavender should produce in that case 50/50 lavender and black split to lavender chicks.

A high quality pure black Silkie is a very versatile bird. It can be used in a pure black pen, a BBS pen, a paint pen and a lavender pen. Goes for other breeds too of course that have these color varieties.

You would not want to use a known black split to lavender bird though in anything other than a lavender pen.

I have 4 I ended up taking from our broody hen kiwi (white silky) set to hatch in 6 daysā€¦. But I am not exactly sure on dateā€¦ we had a mishap situation happen lol n she is currently raising 4 that hatched a week ago. The 4 that I took are from our flock one kiwis with fly by night (gold colored Roo) two sprinkles(paint) that could be either from Roo paint Oreo or fly by night. And one sugar nice who is the black one with our black naked neck! Here are the parents

Attachments

• DF9D0302-F60F-445A-BB56-1C96E3D1B0EC.jpeg
    DF9D0302-F60F-445A-BB56-1C96E3D1B0EC.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4C94A52D-6F94-415F-83E1-7D300990AE2F.jpeg
    4C94A52D-6F94-415F-83E1-7D300990AE2F.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 3
  • B19A7CE0-BFC7-4A76-9395-936E81F80D07.jpeg
    B19A7CE0-BFC7-4A76-9395-936E81F80D07.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A0F8177F-EC6E-49E1-9438-A3B2D09E6C47.jpeg
    A0F8177F-EC6E-49E1-9438-A3B2D09E6C47.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 79FA7649-15E0-4633-BFB6-B03ADE3C2C59.jpeg
    79FA7649-15E0-4633-BFB6-B03ADE3C2C59.jpeg
    817.9 KB · Views: 3
  • F01A3A39-4722-4DCF-8F6A-EBB546CD33B6.jpeg
    F01A3A39-4722-4DCF-8F6A-EBB546CD33B6.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 4
You can use your black Silkie to create ā€œsplitsā€ if crossed with a lavender bird. All offspring will be recessive for lavender.

If a black bird comes from a lavender pen there is a chance it could be a split and breeding to a lavender should produce in that case 50/50 lavender and black split to lavender chicks.

A high quality pure black Silkie is a very versatile bird. It can be used in a pure black pen, a BBS pen, a paint pen and a lavender pen. Goes for other breeds too of course that have these color varieties.

You would not want to use a known black split to lavender bird though in anything other than a lavender pen.
How come not a black split from lavender with anything but a lavender pen?

How come not a black split from lavender with anything but a lavender pen?One of the eggs Iā€™m hatching is sugar nice her mother was barred and father lavender olive egger. Her n her brother came out sex linked sheā€™s black. And I am hatching one of her eggs with our black silky naked neckā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™m curious y u said not to do thatā€¦.. I canā€™t exactly turn back now since they are due in 6 days. Her egg is a dark brown in color.

How come not a black split from lavender with anything but a lavender pen?
Well of course it depends on what youā€™re trying to achieve. If you donā€™t care what pops up in your colors and you have a mixed colored flock, then it doesnā€™t matter.
If you were just breeding for your own enjoyment or make it clear to buyers they are getting birds from a mixed color flock, then it also doesnā€™t matter.
If youā€™re trying to achieve certain colors and separate your flock out in color pens then you would not want to place a lavender split for example in a BBS pen.
If also youā€™re trying to breed pure black birds for example you wouldnā€™t want a recessive lavender to pop up. If you are selling chicks and hatching eggs from specific color pens you want to be able to guarantee your buyers they are getting what they are paying for.šŸ˜Š

I have 4 I ended up taking from our broody hen kiwi (white silky) set to hatch in 6 daysā€¦. But I am not exactly sure on dateā€¦ we had a mishap situation happen lol n she is currently raising 4 that hatched a week ago. The 4 that I took are from our flock one kiwis with fly by night (gold colored Roo) two sprinkles(paint) that could be either from Roo paint Oreo or fly by night. And one sugar nice who is the black one with our black naked neck! Here are the parents
Welcome!šŸ„°

Well of course it depends on what youā€™re trying to achieve. If you donā€™t care what pops up in your colors and you have a mixed colored flock, then it doesnā€™t matter.
If you were just breeding for your own enjoyment or make it clear to buyers they are getting birds from a mixed color flock, then it also doesnā€™t matter.
If youā€™re trying to achieve certain colors and separate your flock out in color pens then you would not want to place a lavender split for example in a BBS pen.
If also youā€™re trying to breed pure black birds for example you wouldnā€™t want a recessive lavender to pop up. If you are selling chicks and hatching eggs from specific color pens you want to be able to guarantee your buyers they are getting what they are paying for.šŸ˜Š
Awhhhhh I c ! Yeh we totally just have fun n like crazy one of a kinda round here I was concerned for a min like might be bad for the chick or something lol! For fun just wondering your opinion. What would you breed to a buff bantam silky ? We just hatched two from the sweet chicken homestead. We have black and white paints and also a few tri colored paint/splashes a white a blue and a black necked neck ! For silkys hehehehe

Awhhhhh I c ! Yeh we totally just have fun n like crazy one of a kinda round here I was concerned for a min like might be bad for the chick or something lol! For fun just wondering your opinion. What would you breed to a buff bantam silky ? We just hatched two from the sweet chicken homestead. We have black and white paints and also a few tri colored paint/splashes a white a blue and a black necked neck ! For silkys hehehehe
Pretty sure buff acts as black with other colors. You usually will get some buff leakage on the chest as well. Anything crossed with paint you have a chance of a lot of dominant white usually with some flecks of other colors. Also depends on if you have solid buff or a different type of buff that has a black tail and sometimes black in the hackle feathers with a columbian type pattern. This is just off the top of my head, I am not a genetics expert. You should get some fun colors though from your birds.šŸ˜Š

Well into DAY 19. First two have internally pipped. šŸ˜Š
Several others look like they no longer have any movement. I canā€™t help but wonder if itā€™s from the incubator mishap last night. (new NR 360 not holding temp). Have to wait and see. These birds are earmarked for a few customers but I have another hatch next week if there are more than the expected losses.
Keeping whatever hatches from the shipped eggs, at least long enough to decide which ones I want to keep long-term.šŸ˜Š

Pretty sure buff acts as black with other colors. You usually will get some buff leakage on the chest as well. Anything crossed with paint you have a chance of a lot of dominant white usually with some flecks of other colors. Also depends on if you have solid buff or a different type of buff that has a black tail and sometimes black in the hackle feathers with a columbian type pattern. This is just off the top of my head, I am not a genetics expert. You should get some fun colors though from your birds.šŸ˜Š
The sweet chicken homestead woman sells her chicks as solids she On her site and I spoke with her breads true to the colors. And they are suppose to be very sweet itā€™s been her project for 12 years with these two that we just hatched. ; ) ā¤ļø We will c how their personalities come about. But Interesting to know that they act as black. They are the only two buff we have Iā€™m so happy we got them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom