October Hatch-a-long 2022🎃🐣🍁

Pics

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
9 Years
May 16, 2014
Hawaii
So seeing how it is a bit too early for the Halloween hatch-a-long, thought I would see if anyone is interested in joining in for an earlier October hatch.😊
I have a test hatch planned for two newer layers, 10 month old Silkie sisters.
This will be third generation with my paint Silkies. Chicks will hatch out black, paint or dominant white. Hoping for some good markings in the paint chicks and not just flecks of black. Have buyers lined up for most of them.
Setting tomorrow with expected hatch date of 10/2/22.
Photos of the upcoming chicks’ parents.
B32683F3-3C35-46BB-8F00-ED5885B5C94A.jpeg

BF56E563-EDE2-47DF-A477-BBD44A318168.jpeg

F79248DB-7A72-4B60-8569-D082A0E455D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Setting 16 eggs today. 8 from Niko (paint), 6 from Lilikoi (black), 1 Polkie egg left from last weeks collection (the Polkie has since gone broody for the very first time) and 1 unknown Silkie egg from 8/28. All the others are from 9/3 up to today.😊
Will check on Wednesday for fertility, I can usually see veining already by then.
All the eggs are marked and plan is to put in dividers at lock down so I can tell which chicks are from which birds. Only Niko’s have the potential of hatching out all white.
48C2011C-CAD8-453A-AD16-24F029F0810D.jpeg

so cute, that one yellow on the right has so much fluff it can hardly see. i LOVE their feathered feet
Thanks! These 3 are super fluffy.😊
Little fluff nuggets can see just fine I think it’s just the angle of the photo. Though they will probably need feather trims as adults.🤣
Same chick from the back.
A4648EB3-E556-4CDC-A48B-5B2C4DC0B51D.jpeg

Update, candled again here about six hours after the last one. Didn’t make sense I couldn’t see better development, though it could as everyone knows shipped eggs are a gamble.
Well I was excited to see that 10 out of the 16 eggs are showing clear development.
This is promising as this is much better than my last shipped egg adventure about 2 years ago. I feel I can allow myself to be excited now!!
:wee :wee:wee
93044C31-7CBC-4796-A0D3-2A0DCF7047DC.jpeg

So today is “lock down“ for the first set of eggs, DAY 17.
11 eggs have made it this far, out of 16 started.

Second set are on DAY 10.
12 still look good. Only one EQ so far. In this set is one additional egg that was started a day later.

DAY 4 for the shipped eggs and pulled 4 obvious clears. 12 remaining.🙂
32A6D7FC-04AF-40B3-80F4-E5B1F2C37168.jpeg

I think we're done with hatching!

Of the 13 eggs scheduled to hatch, 11 have hatched. Unfortunately, the little guy in the cracked egg failed to internally pip, although he was fully developed. That one hurt a bit, I feel so bad for them. The egg was actually rocking back and forth moving last night, and I'd decided to at least try to help him if he hadn't pipped this morning. By the time I got to him today, he was gone.

One of the smaller cream legbar eggs from a young hen didn't hatch, either. Really, it's almost a case study in waiting for good eggs, because I was given five of the smaller eggs and only two of them made it to hatch. Two were early quitters and the third never pipped. But of the nine larger eggs, eight made it to lockdown and the only one that didn't hatch was the cracked egg.

I also had one pullet hatch very quickly and energetically, but with a partially unabsorbed yolk. I did the "back in the shell in a cup in the incubator" method, and while she's absorbed the yellow part of the yolk, there's still a bloody mass that's still attached. She's been out of the egg for about 20 hours now, so I'm really crossing my fingers for her.

Back
Top Bottom