October hatch, what's cooking?

No booties, but I made them beds out of cardboard boxes and scrap materials.
25446373_824897177712831_1768176043298366962_n.jpg

October Hatch...BOO! Papa is a 3rd generation Rhode Island Red(RIR). Mama's are 1st generation Barred Plymouth Rocks. I told my co-worker earlier this week that come the week-end I would have 14 laying hens. My co-worker said "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Well, I'm counting on all my set eggs to hatch plus I'm counting on all the chicks to be hens. Well it's the week end and my flock began arriving Friday afternoon right on schedule, (Day 21). Sunday (Day 23) will be moving day from the hatchery to the brooder and (Day 23) will be the dead line for any stragglers. As of (Day 22) 11 of 14 have hatched. As much as I want 14 hens, I'm sure there are some fellas mixed in the flock so on moving day I will also tag the suspected fellas with a blue zip-tie. During this October hatch I did not concern myself with candling. I understand how to candle, when to do it and what to look for but the significance of candling escapes me, perhaps you can help me understand the significance of candling. Thanks and good luck on your hatch.

Thanks, you have alot going on! I had a big chick who was a wyandotte. Big Big chicken. Thought for sure was a rooster, all the way up till she laid her egg... guess what, it was a small egg, even as she got older it stayed small... Grr. At least she eats good!

I have 27 eggs in the incubator. The father is a F1 Olive Egger rooster who we call Blue. He's gorgeous in my opinion. In hopes of darkening up the Olive Egger eggs, I chose to hatch my darkest sex-link hens eggs. They are huge eggs and really dark especially for sex-links. Anyway, the green eggs are out of one of our Easter Egger hens and one of our Olive Egger hens. So today we candled and 20 have definte embryos developing, one looked empty and the rest were so dark I couldn't tell for sure. I figured they were also small embryos so we'll do another check next week sometime and hopefully be able to see babies in there. So eggciting! :D

Back
Top Bottom