Ocular Mareks Testing

PNWskye

Songster
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Hello, I adopted a couple chickens and one had blue eyes, which isn’t common for Welsummers. I was told it was because she was hatchery (which I’m fine with since I’m not breeding). They have been quarantined from the rest of the flock for a week so far. She acts/eats/drinks/poops normal and has laid two eggs. I was worried about ocular mareks based on her pupil shape and iris color though. I was told to send pics to my state veterinary group, which I did (response in pics).
I would like to test without the vet visit. What do you recommend? I read some of the older posts and sounds like some labs are closed.

Attachments

• E20892D3-58C0-45AF-91F8-04858E7D7741.jpeg
    E20892D3-58C0-45AF-91F8-04858E7D7741.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 40
  • CB74C073-EFCE-415E-8B43-D87AF2968443.jpeg
    CB74C073-EFCE-415E-8B43-D87AF2968443.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 22AAC0CC-1AA9-494D-A49B-38049EB3CD0F.jpeg
    22AAC0CC-1AA9-494D-A49B-38049EB3CD0F.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 5C03F603-627F-4664-9FB1-AFD67DF336BC.jpeg
    5C03F603-627F-4664-9FB1-AFD67DF336BC.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 32
I would like to test without the vet visit. What do you recommend? I read some of the older posts and sounds like some labs are closed.
Most labs are not closed that I'm aware of.. I just had testing done at UC Davis in Ca.. here's a list of contact info for different states.. Not sure if it's the same group you already contacted or not..
State poultry labs

They also state that it's in every poultry environment and suggest vaccinating all future birds.. I REFUSE to vaccinate because the vaccine only HIDES the symptoms and doesn't actually prevent the disease from spreading but allows it to spread undetected.

Have you already ready this article, it keeps changing and getting updated all the time..
Marek's Virus FAQ

I'm not sure if they've included info in that link, but I have heard of being able to send in a test.. not sure if it's blood or feather sample or how accurate they are.

I doubt a visit to the vet will tell you anything you can't figure out for the most part on your own, in this case.

Quarantined.. how far away? How far was the flock they came from?

I mean it almost looks exactly the same in both eyes.. maybe it is a genetic anomaly?? How did those eggs you got look?

She is pretty. :fl

I was “hoping” it was a deformity or that she’s going blind vice ocular mareks. I will check out those links. I have done tons of reading. I wondered if the labs were affected by Covid-19 and closed. They are in my closed garage in a tote. I read that it can travel up to 3 miles and especially on hands and work boots. I just don’t want to cull healthy birds.

Most labs are not closed that I'm aware of.. I just had testing done at UC Davis in Ca.. here's a list of contact info for different states.. Not sure if it's the same group you already contacted or not..
State poultry labs

They also state that it's in every poultry environment and suggest vaccinating all future birds.. I REFUSE to vaccinate because the vaccine only HIDES the symptoms and doesn't actually prevent the disease from spreading but allows it to spread undetected.

Have you already ready this article, it keeps changing and getting updated all the time..
Marek's Virus FAQ

I'm not sure if they've included info in that link, but I have heard of being able to send in a test.. not sure if it's blood or feather sample or how accurate they are.

I doubt a visit to the vet will tell you anything you can't figure out for the most part on your own, in this case.

Quarantined.. how far away? How far was the flock they came from?

I mean it almost looks exactly the same in both eyes.. maybe it is a genetic anomaly?? How did those eggs you got look?

She is pretty. :fl
Also, her eggs are beautiful (classic Welsummer egg with dark speckles), hard-shelled, and otherwise normal looking.

I just don’t want to cull healthy birds.
I don't think I would "cull" or otherwise harvest the chicken.. that was actively laying and appeared to be showing what I would think of as possible resistance.. unless it does start to cause visual impairment beyond making it to food AND/OR reducing the amount of light to the point that it stops laying.. even then, you do you.. I'm not sure what your thoughts are on retired layers.

I *might* consider sending them back where they come from, knowing/thinking my flock is already exposed now as true quarantine is nearly impossible (imo), and let the pieces fall where they may. It doesn't pass to the eggs.. but wow, 3 miles is a long ways.. and I'm not surprised at all.. though disheartened a little.. maybe determined more than anything.. It's a tough choice.. I breed for resistance to Marek's, as there was one gene identified that offers resistance to Marek's. Without knowing whether my never symptomatic (pupils/iris would be a symptom) birds possess that gene or not.. All I can do is my best, and there's a learning curve.

Some labs may be affected differently than others even though mine was open.

If you're not breeding then it may be better to get vaccinated chicks if/when you need to add more. Sounds like you've already been practicing chicken math. :)

The farm we adopted her from is selling the home, so they rehomed all of their chickens. She’s about two years old and no other chicken showed signs. The owner feels horrible about the situation. I would like to give them (the one that she’s been quarantining with too) to another, but I don’t know how I would go about that. :hit

Thank you for the share. I want to know either way. I have read conflicting opinions about if the bird was vaccinated, it would be positive for mareks. 😣
I would contact the lab and ask them. I cannot see why having a vaccine would cause them to test positive, because the tests would be of no help to diagnose Mareks if that was the case. Let us know what you find out.

I would contact the lab and ask them. I cannot see why having a vaccine would cause them to test positive, because the tests would be of no help to diagnose Mareks if that was the case. Let us know what you find out.
RAL (Ressarch Associates Laboratory) is quite responsive on Facebook, and they no longer accept the blood droplets on a paper in a ziplock bag mailed to them. I need to update the other post. You get blood test vials or swabs ordered/mailed to you first, and then, send in the test form that requests mareks be tested for $20.

Attachments

• BFD746CB-D70F-4294-956D-B0D6FECD3A89.jpeg
    BFD746CB-D70F-4294-956D-B0D6FECD3A89.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom