Ocular Marek's?

Pics

CarpCharacin

Dilettante
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I have a Blue Langshan hen which had stopped sleeping in the coop, so I assumed that she was broody, however I was able to get a better look at her today, and I noticed that one of her eyes is abnormal, and she also appears to have lost weight. I first tried rinsing out her eye, but I am concerned that it may be ocular Marek's, as they eye appears to be somewhat greyish, and the iris appears distorted.
IMG_20200709_175037.jpg
IMG_20200709_175042.jpg

Does it look like ocular Marek's? I brought her inside, so she is currently isolated from the rest of the flock, however I am still concerned about the possibility of the virus depredating the rest of the flock. I vaccinated some of the older birds several years ago, however they were still past the reccomended age of vaccination when I vaccinated them, and the younger birds are unvaccinated, although even the younger birds are over two years old.

Hi guys, I was just searching for info on this when I found the thread. I’m concerned about this (ocular Mareks) in my flock as well. I have 9 week old EE’s.
Thursday I noticed one of my roosters with a cloudy eye. Today they are both cloudy. Then I noticed tonight one of my hens has a cloudy eye as well. Could it be anything else?? This is our first flock, I’m so scared for them. Does this mean I will lose them all? I was supposed to rehome my other rooster this week but now I don’t want to incase I make someone else’s flock sick. I’ve tried to get good pics of both their left and right eyes
It would probably be best to start your own new thread to lessen confusion by clicking the post thread green box here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Cloudiness in an eye can be a result of a cataract, vitamin A or E deficiency, survivors of avian encephalomyelitis (epidemic tremor,) infections, and ammonia odors.

I would guess that it would be unlikely for Marek's to start showing up just now.

Have you ever dewormed them?
I don't think I've dewormed them. I don't think that the pictures that I posted fully demonstrate the distortion of the shape of the iris, and that distortion is primarily what made me think that it could be Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom