Odd beak shape on my first chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sen, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sen

Sen In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hey...so, I've been lurking here for a long time with the thought of perhaps getting some birds someday...well, it's someday.

So, the story behind this, and why I'm completely unprepared for this:

My dad's coworker found a chicken wandering her neighborhood, and it let her approach it and pick it up and take it home. They couldn't figure out whose it was, and couldn't keep it. They kept her for a few days feeding her canned vegetables like corn and green beans before convincing us to take her. So...tonight, we got a chicken. We also have no coop, no run, but luckily she's a house-chicken, apparently.

They found that out when she begged at the door every night until they brought her inside and put her into a dog kennel for the night...

She appears to be pretty healthy, insofar as she doesn't seem to be skinny, has no obvious wounds, no noticeable ticks, is eating and drinking and pooping readily, with full feather coverage and the feathers seem shiny and healthy, and she appears very calm and curious about her environment, so I take that to be all good things.

However, her beak isn't shaped quite how it should be. The upper beak is MUCH shorter than the lower beak, and she does have difficulty eating things from the ground, although a deep bowl or my hand appear to help with that, and she is clearly not sensitive about it, based on all of the curious pecking. There does not appear to be any jagged or sharp edges, and it doesn't have the look of a broken beak (I researched it before I made this post), and she doesn't seem to favor it in any way, but the lower beak is quite a bit longer than the upper one.

Is this some sort of deformity, or is this how a "clipped" beak looks after it has been healed for a long time? I have photos. (As it turns out, it is very difficult to get a close up photo of a chicken that's in-focus.)
    Photos at the bottom.

Does this look okay?

Also, there are some black specks on her comb. Or his comb. I assumed a she, because it looks like a she to me, but you guys are the experts here. Could those black specks be mites? I never saw any of them move, so it could be dirt. I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Should I get some DE for her, or...what are your recommendations? I plan to get a coop and run set up this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    It looks like her beaks been clipped,but some are born with it.its not a problem at all.

3. Sen

Sen In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Troy4, thank you for the response! I thought it was probably okay, since she didn't seem affected by it, but I wanted to make sure. I figured a picture says a thousand words.

Does the bottom beak need to be trimmed or filed down any to help her not have such a huge overlap? I notice she sees to be wiping her beak across the ground a lot, and assume that means that when I get the coop set up, she will need something coarse like a rock or brick to help her keep it down. But at the length it is, does she need me to use a nail file to take it down a little bit?

As calm as she is, I can probably get her to let me do that, but I'd rather not do that if it's not necessary, to limit stress.

4. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    No.My hens have the same, well 1 does.She eats fine too.Hens may scrap their breaks across the ground to sharpen it,but if you want I guess you could cut it.

I would wait to see how she eats.
    Hope I helpeD!

5. Sen

Sen In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Oh! Well, I'm glad to hear it's not uncommon. She seems to be eating fine on her own, so I'll watch her, and if she seems to be having any issues, I will see about doing something, but if she's fine on her own I'm inclined to let well enough alone.

You helped a lot, thank you!!! I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. :)

I have to say, I've only been around chickens a little bit, and she is quite the charmer. Very curious and happy to come right up to you and check you out!! She doesn't mind being picked up or petted or anything, either, which is nice. I like her.

6. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Are you planning on getting others?I can help on what breeds and items etc.

7. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    hope you enjoy this little girl.Is she a australorp?

8. Sen

Sen In the Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Oh...yes, I think I will be getting others. I've got a pretty good idea what I'll be doing for a coop and run, since I've been wanting chickens for a couple years now, but just haven't gotten any yet. I was planning on starting with blue laced red wyandottes, and eventually getting some silkies and some wheaten ameraucaunas. I think the Wyandottes are about the same size as this girl, but then again, I haven't ever seen any in person before, so they might be bigger or smaller.

I have no idea what this girl is, since someone just found her wandering around loose nowhere near anyone who owned any chickens. We have no idea where she came from, but she's definitely used to people.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  9. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    If I were you I'd get a Buff Orpington and a Production Red.These breeds are the best brown eggers around!Also the RIR(Rhode Island red).Production Reds are smart and nice rarely the breed that goes broody.If you want a mean good laying bird its the RIR or Buff.

Before introducing them I would make sure the hens healthy enough to go in with others.Birds can catch a disease and it can stay for quiet some time.Its pretty surprising.I've had a bad cold with the hens for about months.I hope you enjoy this chicken puzzle!

10. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Also I think that is a Hamburg.I also need to say that's a beautiful hen ya got! Is she show quality?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: