Odd Behavior and Sound from my Ameraucana

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
I have four 21 week old Ameraucanas who have not laid an egg yet, but I'm thinking they should soon. I have 24 chickens in all with 2 RIR roosters. It's a mixed flock of various breeds including RIR, Leghorns, BR, Sex-links (black and gold) and EEs.

I've been moving about half the chickens to a separate pen (one roo per pen) and one of my Ameraucanas got frantic over in the other coop. She was running back and forth and ur-ur-uring and so, I picked her up and put her in the other pen. She calmed down, but still held her head up high and kept making the ur-ur-uring noise. When another bird approached, she dropped to the ground and looked like she was presenting herself for breeding.

She's kind of the bottom of the pecking order and a sweet bird, but has no tail feathers because the other birds pulled them. (She's the only bird who has this happen) She's not injured or pecked, but I can't help wonder if she wants to stay away from the other (more aggressive) roo. She literally hopped into my hands when I opened the pen to take her out.

So, what's going on? Is she getting ready to lay? Have I a stealth roo as an Ameraucana? Does she just want to be with her other buddies that I moved?
idunno.gif

The squat is normal and means she's ready for breeding. (which coincides with laying eggs
wink.png
) My pure Ameraucana's started laying at 23 weeks, and now 3 of the 4 are laying. Still waiting on the last one.

The noises could just be that she is approaching point of lay. They do get more vocal as they get closer. The panicky behavior I would guess is because she's getting picked on.

Quote:
She's calm now with certain birds. I don't know why, but I guess I'll have to watch her and make sure she's with the right birds.
idunno.gif
But she's still getting really vocal.

We have two EE who are at the bottom of the pecking order. They are more skiddish of changes because they are already stressed with the feather picking. They make more noises because of being stressed. The pacing goes with it. Because they are at the bottom of the pecking order and more willing to submit, they are the roos favorites.

Both of my EE's have had to be separated from the flock at one time or another to allow their feathers a chance to regrow. The easiest way for me to do this is to divide a part of the run area with a piece of 2 x 4 fencing material. This lets them see each other, but gives the hen a safe space for a few weeks. I let the hen out while I am there to supervise. This way I make sure the roo and others don't tear her feathers up more. I put an small "A" frame in the time out coop so the hen can still lay eggs and roost and have shade.

My EE's are friendlier to me because of this. I think I have become their ALPHA roo.

Quote:
When she panicked, I did. She calmed down but still makes a fair amount of noise. But she isn't frantic. I think there are certain hens she has to stay beside who will protect her. When I went out to the coop, she was behaving normally, but makes that odd sound.
idunno.gif

My EE made the same noise 2nights ago. I do not know why for sure but she seemed a little unsure of things. She is grown and not afraid of anything. She is the top of pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom