odd behavior = laying????

Hula Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Wailuku, Maui, HI
There's some very odd goings-on with our girls this morning. Our normally quite little flock is quite loud and obnoxious!!!!

Our BR (Roxy) is VERY VERY loud and leading the riot. It's like she CONSTANTLY "whining" and clucking which is making the Americauna (Maryanne) uneasy and loud. The two together are making our teeny-bopper Browns clucky too. I've feed and watered them. This is very out of the ordinary!!!! The BR actually approaches our back porch door and tries to push through the screen....so weird!!

It's so bad that I put them back into the coop, away from the property line and our neighbors. Should I be concerned or is this normal behavior before they first start laying??

Last edited:
I find this fairly normal with a lot of pullets a few weeks before they start laying. They get cranky, obnoxious, a lot of times they will get spooky, they start find fault with everything around them and telling the world about it ... always figured it was their changing hormones making them act up. They will usually settle down once they start laying regularly.....

Thank you, Kelsie2290!!!!! Scary is definitely another word I'd use to describe our two older girls. The BR is very confrontational seems to want to kill me. It's like they're going through puberty. Anyway, thank you very much for the input. This chicken newbie is impatiently awaiting some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom